buying +10 year unused old bike. What to look for and tips?

Ive worked on motors large and small that have had ... issues with electrical, fuel delivery, exhaust leaks, ..etc. But not experienced with the issues I've read on motors that sit around.

Heres what I understand:

gas sitting in the tank develops varnish then varnish in the tank will contaminate any new fuel you put in there same with the carb, seals will crack on the block, seals with crack on the carb, hoses will crack.

Plan is to so far first avoid bikes with extra low miles, second check any rubber hoses if their cracked then I'll assume the other stuff that cracks is cracked too, smell the exhaust see If the combusted fuel smells bad, look inside the tank, listen to idle drive it to test the carb....ask the owner about driving habits and frequency.

Heres what I dont:

How do I look for some of these things I can't see? any advice / tips I didn't mention in my plan?

I still feel like my plan is not good enough.. what are some really good tests that I can do my self for free? Don't even know what issues to expect from trans being unused... none?

The bike I'm looking at:

Looking at this bike its a 2006 with 3k on it. Thats 11 years old and would have to been ridden 278 miles per year for 11 years to have only 3k and be frequently "used" motor. Although that seems reasonable Im just going to assume the bikes been sitting in the garage. Carb was supposedly cleaned and gaskets were replaced.. 

Edited by horrofan

Need to check all the rubber (hoses) change all fluids (empty tank ,clean ) . Tires are probably shot. Carb o ring, diaphragm may need to be change.
It really depend how it was stored.

How a bike has been ridden/cared for means more than mileage.   Look at the seller, OCD or bike thrasher.

This is a cystal ball type question...

Ask the seller the history of the bike. Go look at it 1st hand. Ride it. Base your decision to buy accordingly.

Is this a S or SM? 300 miles of 1st gear single track isn't the same as 300 road miles.

Assume nothing. You know what happens when you assume?

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

10 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

This is a cystal ball type question...

Ask the seller the history of the bike. Go look at it 1st hand. Ride it. Base your decision to buy accordingly.

Is this a S or SM? 300 miles of 1st gear single track isn't the same as 300 road miles.

Assume nothing. You know what happens when you assume?

its an S.

Well I don't assume most people just want to sell their thing, I can tell from buying used vehicles from a lot of people who's being honest or who seems like they have something to hide (usually if the vehicle is too cheap and they aren't saying much). There could also be the possibility the person doesn't know much about general mechanics and asking them wouldn't be much help. You're right it depends on the seller.

But a 10+ year old bike with 3k I have a feeling this guy or the guy before bought it at just let it sit (I think thats at least safe to assume), whether or not he's going to tell me the truth about the history or the maintenance .. is up to the buyer to try and figure out from looking at the bike.

anyways.. the guy sold it without notifying me or giving me any heads up... just kind of found out since the CL ad was deleted. But for the sake of someone else having this question I'm continuing the thread.

49 minutes ago, LoLoSama said:

Also, forks seals. Often, when not riden, the seals dry out.

well thats something you'd check whether the bike is old or not... I'm mostly concerned about the motor and trans / internals of the bike that we can't see, when buying an old thing.

Edited by horrofan

I have an 06 with 18k miles. I bought it new and put 13k on it in 2 seasons. You can do the math on the remaining seasons but my bike is ridden on a regular basis and is in fine operating condition.

It's going to be obvious by looking at it if it's been sitting behind the shed since Bush was in office or if it's maintained and ridden with any regularity.

Does it run?

3 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I have an 06 with 18k miles. I bought it new and put 13k on it in 2 seasons. You can do the math on the remaining seasons but my bike is ridden on a regular basis and is in fine operating condition.

It's going to be obvious by looking at it if it's been sitting behind the shed since Bush was in office or if it's maintained and ridden with any regularity.

Does it run?

Guy said it ran no problem, never got around to seeing if you see my last post (he sold it) .. but he seemed confident

Bike looked like it was garaged, not much rust. 

Maybe you got lucky? The guy said the carb was cleaned and had a new tank... that just leaves mysteries in the motor.

Guy said it ran no problem, never got around to seeing if you see my last post (he sold it) .. but he seemed confident
Bike looked like it was garaged, not much rust. 

Maybe you got lucky? The guy said the carb was cleaned and had a new tank... that just leaves mysteries in the motor.

The motor is 90% aluminum. In all likelihood all the steel bits( gears, bearings, crank, ect.) were corrosion free.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, horrofan said:

Ive worked on motors large and small that have had ... issues with electrical, fuel delivery, exhaust leaks, ..etc. But not experienced with the issues I've read on motors that sit around.

Heres what I understand:

gas sitting in the tank develops varnish then varnish in the tank will contaminate any new fuel you put in there same with the carb, seals will crack on the block, seals with crack on the carb, hoses will crack.

Plan is to so far first avoid bikes with extra low miles, second check any rubber hoses if their cracked then I'll assume the other stuff that cracks is cracked too, smell the exhaust see If the combusted fuel smells bad, look inside the tank, listen to idle drive it to test the carb....ask the owner about driving habits and frequency.

Heres what I dont:

How do I look for some of these things I can't see? any advice / tips I didn't mention in my plan?

I still feel like my plan is not good enough.. what are some really good tests that I can do my self for free? Don't even know what issues to expect from trans being unused... none?

The bike I'm looking at:

Looking at this bike its a 2006 with 3k on it. Thats 11 years old and would have to been ridden 278 miles per year for 11 years to have only 3k and be frequently "used" motor. Although that seems reasonable Im just going to assume the bikes been sitting in the garage. Carb was supposedly cleaned and gaskets were replaced.. 

You understand enough to make a good decision, but it depends on how comfortable you are working on these motors. I got a very high miler 07 S for real cheap cause I knew I could fix the engine if I had to.

1 hour ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

The motor is 90% aluminum. In all likelihood all the steel bits( gears, bearings, crank, ect.) were corrosion free.

good point

if it was garaged it wont go bad .. my '00 i bought new in '99 and it sat with less than 4 on it until recently when i put SM rims on it, now it has 12 ... ive never changed a hose .. the fuel will go bad and the brake fluid will go bad and if fuel sat in it it can rot the seals in the carb so i'd rebuild that ... other than that if it runs good ride it, the probelms would arise in a bike that was stored outdoors, got wet regularly or sat under a tarp in a moist place .. that could cause all kinds of issues for sure ..