How far do i have to pull in my clutch??

Wasn't sure wether or not to post this in the off-road or mx but whatever. so, when i'm trying to shift my bike (ktm with the hydrolic auto adjusting clutch) i use all my fingers which is a habit i'm trying to get out of. but when i only use two or one finger i can't pull the lever in to the bars. so now the main question IS IT OKAY TO NOT PULL THE LEVER ALL THE WAY TO THE BARS WHEN SHIFTING? 

If I use the clutch is definitely not going all the way to the bars. Your clutch should disengage fully with room for your fingers to still grab the bars.

7 hours ago, kxkid110 said:

Wasn't sure wether or not to post this in the off-road or mx but whatever. so, when i'm trying to shift my bike (ktm with the hydrolic auto adjusting clutch) i use all my fingers which is a habit i'm trying to get out of. but when i only use two or one finger i can't pull the lever in to the bars. so now the main question IS IT OKAY TO NOT PULL THE LEVER ALL THE WAY TO THE BARS WHEN SHIFTING? 

Yes. To get an idea where you need to be on clutch pull to shift: Warm up bike because it effects the clutch pull; never adjust clutch cold. Shutdown engine. Put bike in gear. While pulling clutch in slowly rock the bike back and forth. When you get to the clutch position that you can freely move the bike back-n-forth, you clutch is disengaged and that is about how far you need to pull in the clutch to shift; go a little extra for margin of error. I suspect you are going to find this to be farther out than you would have guessed.

I still find myself wanting to start out with all fingers on the clutch lever. Then I un-wrap two from the lever and move to them to the bar; doesn't seem to be a problem after I do that. Weird but now this just seems to be part of my pre-ride routine. I'm a two-finger person as I had injured my index and middle finger years back. I do find myself some times switching back-n-forth between two fingers, just middle finger and just index finger while I ride. You need to resolve not having any fingers wrapped around the hand grip asap - you are giving up a lot of control.

Edited by GoneDirtBikeN

if the bike will shift w/o the lever pulled all the way in, then that is far enough, you only have to pull it far enough to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish, you wouldnt pull it all the way in to slip the clutch, and you wont pull it all the way in to shift up or down.