Stalls on downshift

'05 S model. Bike starts, idles, runs fine. Lately, when downshifting it will stall unless I work to keep revs up. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Kyle

Do you have a tach to see what the idle speed actually is? It may seem OK, but actually be a hair too low. That would be my first guess. I suppose it could also be tight valves, but that's a guess.

• Like 2

I have a induction tach although not currently on the bike. You may be correct on the idle suggestion. Going to play with the idle and fuel screw today. 

On a separate but related note, I did the 3x3 mod last year with the JD kit (still stock exhaust) and it's not quite as responsive as I was hoping. Maybe the tweaking will address that...

Thanks

K

On a separate but related note, I did the 3x3 mod last year with the JD kit (still stock exhaust) and it's not quite as responsive as I was hoping. Maybe the tweaking will address that...
Thanks
K

You haven't appeased the power Gods with a sufficient enough sacrifice of green backs.

If the bike starts up easily and idles fine when the engine is cold only to stall and not idle well when it hot indicates that you are too rich on the pilot or fuel screw setting.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

You haven't appeased the power Gods with a sufficient enough sacrifice of green backs.

If the bike starts up easily and idles fine when the engine is cold only to stall and not idle well when it hot indicates that you are too rich on the pilot or fuel screw setting.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Can the Gods ever be appeased? :)

Ohio's on the right track, besides the idle speed and valve adjust, make sure that idle mixture screw is a hair on the lean side, also if you put in the 25 pilot, you may have to go back to the 22.5 .

• Like 1

might give the oil a sniff too easy to check and doesnt cost anything, fuel in the oil will make it not want to run when hot and hard to restart when hot, depending on the amount of fuel its can be overcome by revving it.

• Like 1

Following up on this... readjusted the fuel screw and upped the idle a bit and it's running much better. No more stalling.

Thanks.