Good price for an 2007 XR650L 5k mileage ?

Found a 2007 XR650l 5500 mileage

looks well maintained, 

body looks clean, 

haven't seen it run or drive yet,

Guys asking $3000, is that a good price (just assuming that I verified it runs and drives good)?

Note: BTW im in California Bay Area where all prices are jacked up so don't give me some mid american woodland state price comparison :)

Edited by horrofan

$3000 for a 2007 XR650L with no issues is a fair price.  They would have to come down a bit more for ME to buy it, but I'm cheap that way.  If it's somewhere not too far from Pleasanton, I would be willing to help you look it over.  You can also take a spin on my bike to find out what a good running XR650L should feel like.

36 minutes ago, ScottRNelson said:

$3000 for a 2007 XR650L with no issues is a fair price.  They would have to come down a bit more for ME to buy it, but I'm cheap that way.  If it's somewhere not too far from Pleasanton, I would be willing to help you look it over.  You can also take a spin on my bike to find out what a good running XR650L should feel like.

hey thanks for the offer, already saw the bike.. I had to pass on the bike for two reasons.

First importantly was way too tall for me and had some starting issues.

I could believe it since 2007 with only 5k on it ... but heres what happened

1 it was a hard first start (bike was cold) he got it started with a little throttle ,

2 then I let the bike run for like 5 mins,

3 shut it off then tried to get it to start again (was a hard start ..had to hold the switch for a while and give it throttle).. ok no big deal only second try

4 but then he drove it up and down the block , I shut it off but still a hard start

5 we let it run , I shut it off but still a hard start

6 drove it up and down the block

bike still didn't want to fire easy ... throttle had to be pulled and choke had to be open every time to start, bike backfired a lot, I wanted to pull the plug but he said I needed a special socket.

I noticed all this and decided it wasn't running good.. am I wrong?

the guy kept telling me thats how it is thats how all enduros are.. I told him I disagree but he insisted. It was hard for me to tell if he was right since he seemed really eager and our position as a buyer and seller. Anyways not experienced with bikes, I worked on small carbed engines before fuel injected car motors ... I disagree because I ridden a dual sport 350 and it fired up good every time no back fire...

I smelled the exhaust fumes didn't smell bad, touched the pipe no burnt chared stuff..

Edited by horrofan

35 minutes ago, brianhare said:

It would need probably just the carb cleaned,,,sounds like the pilot jet was dirty or not jetted correctly..

I wouldn`t pass on it if it was quiet running..

Low mile bikes,fuel sitting to long,,pretty much normal..

B

yeah, the bike wasn't bad.. but it obviously needs some attention and wrench'n which isn't worth 3k firm price IMO. 

...in the end it was too tall for me, thats the main reason why I passed. 

Sounds like it might be a bike that I can get for cheap then. ?

Can you PM me a pointer to the ad?

My bike is easy to start when cold, only needs choke for about ten seconds this time of year, and can be ridden off immediately.  Once it has been ridden for a few minutes, half a second of starter button will have it running again.  That one probably just needs some carburetor work.

If it's too tall for you, you might be looking at the wrong bike.  Yes, they're tall, but I like them like that.  I have no problem flat footing mine.

27 minutes ago, ScottRNelson said:

Sounds like it might be a bike that I can get for cheap then. ?

Can you PM me a pointer to the ad?

My bike is easy to start when cold, only needs choke for about ten seconds this time of year, and can be ridden off immediately.  Once it has been ridden for a few minutes, half a second of starter button will have it running again.  That one probably just needs some carburetor work.

If it's too tall for you, you might be looking at the wrong bike.  Yes, they're tall, but I like them like that.  I have no problem flat footing mine.

sure thing... https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/d/honda-xrl/6235261878.html

they said they were meeting someone else today after me (I saw the bike around 11am) ..but the ad is still up so they other guy must of bailed or passed.

FYI: when I was driving it up and down the hill, after a shift the throttle had a late response.. its possible I was just shifting too early, but could also be signs of carb needing adjustment.

Good Luck if you check it out!

Edited by horrofan

12 hours ago, horrofan said:

its possible I was just shifting too early, but could also be signs of carb needing adjustment.

Good Luck if you check it out!

Thanks.  We already know that the carburetor will need some work.  I need to consult with my wife about the possibility of another motorcycle purchase.  I already know the bike will need a new rear fender and brake liight.