Will this transmission oil work

Hi, today I went to my local O'Reilly's and they had all Lucas oil fluids on sale so I scooped up plenty of their " Synthetic SAE 75W-90 Gear Oil" (Pictured). I was a bit skeptical because it states it contains "special additive" and I recall from a previous thread how you should avoid those oils ( "energy conserving") or your clutch won't like you lol

Although I do see this product being advertised in plenty motorsports websites.

Is this what I have in my case? Will this oil work for my CRF250X

ThanksScreenshot_20170728-144207.pngScreenshot_20170728-144233.png

No that oil will not work properly, 

automotive 'gear' or differential oil like than 75W-90 isn't the same formulation as 75W / 80W motorcycle gearbox oil.

Formulations that have 'limited-slip' additives like that one seems to are even less desired,

as they are meant to allow some limited slip clutch slippage to prevent chatter while cornering.

We want the opposite in our bikes, an oil which allows minimal clutch slippage.

Non energy conserving 10W-30 or 10W-40 automotive or JASO-MA rated motorcycle oil is all you need,

even ATF (automatic transmission fluid) like Type-F or Dexron III will do in a separate sump gearbox.

Myself run a re-branded Rotella 10W-30 syn blend diesel oil.

Not JASO rated but not Energy Conserving either, works fine in both my bikes.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Honda Owner's Manual recommends the same oil for engine and tranny, a JASO-MA oil because of the wet clutch.  I run a high quality synthetic oil  in the engine (currently Motul 300V), and Valvoline synthetic Dextron VI in the tranny (makes for a very smooth clutch). Be careful if you use different oils in the engine and tranny because the fill locations can be confusing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2017 at 6:34 AM, mlatour said:

No that oil will not work properly, 

automotive 'gear' or differential oil like than 75W-90 isn't the same formulation as 75W / 80W motorcycle gearbox oil.

The differences are so slim between the two. I find it hard to believe that Honda's motorcycle gearbox oil is different than differential oil. There's nothing energy conserving about either one. The "Super Slick" verbiage is advertising. Lucas has some semi-talented writers on staff. 

Has to do with metal compatibility, some 'extreme pressure' additives meant for axles & differentials

can be bad (corrosive?) for softer brass, aluminium etc. gearbox components.

As mentioned, most 'limited slip additives' in axle lube are actually meant to

allow some slippage (prevents chatter when cornering), the opposite of what we want for our bike clutches.

Edited by mlatour

36 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Has to do with metal compatibility, some 'extreme pressure' additives meant for axles & differentials

can be bad (corrosive?) for softer brass, aluminium etc. gearbox components.

As mentioned, most 'limited slip additives' in axle lube are actually meant to

allow some slippage (prevents chatter when cornering), the opposite of what we want for our bike clutches.

I suppose. I just use 10W40 or ATF both automotive based and have not had problems. When those two are cheaper than differential oil it does not make sense to try it when the other two are widely available and cheaper.