Rekluse Clutch back to stock

I bought my 2009 Yz250f about 5 months ago and it is my first bike. When i bought it had a rekluse clutch in it and the previous owner took very good care of it and gave me the stock clutch along with the bike. But now i want to challenge myself a bit more with the stock clutch. I was wondering if it is going to be hard to remove the rekluse clutch and put the new clutch in? Am I going to need to buy any new parts? Thanks!!

It all depends. You shouldn't need anything as long as the previous owner gave you everything he took off. I might install new friction plates while you have it apart.

Rekluse is a great product but if this is your first dirt bike take it out and feel whats it is like to ride without it.  And the clutch is very easy to work on. If you have to remove the basket just be careful how you wedge it to get the nut off. I usually put it in the highest gear and wedge the tire someway. I try not to wedge anything against something that could either bend or break.  But other than that one well torqued nut for obvious reasons it is a very easy job

Edited by taylor10

On 7/28/2017 at 4:42 PM, motorhog said:

I bought my 2009 Yz250f about 5 months ago and it is my first bike. When i bought it had a rekluse clutch in it and the previous owner took very good care of it and gave me the stock clutch along with the bike. But now i want to challenge myself a bit more with the stock clutch. I was wondering if it is going to be hard to remove the rekluse clutch and put the new clutch in? Am I going to need to buy any new parts? Thanks!!

not hard to switch out, don't even have to drain the oil if you lay the bike on it side.  Have to pull the basket, nice to have a holder or an impact driver.

It depends which model of Rekluse you have installed. It could be as simple as pulling the rekluse disk and adding in some steel and friction plates. If you know the model of the rekluse that you have installed go to their website and download the manual. It'll show you exactly what you need to do.

On 7/28/2017 at 4:42 PM, motorhog said:

I bought my 2009 Yz250f about 5 months ago and it is my first bike. When i bought it had a rekluse clutch in it and the previous owner took very good care of it and gave me the stock clutch along with the bike. But now i want to challenge myself a bit more with the stock clutch.

Good for you!  Learning how to ride using a real clutch is a great idea! Too many new riders these days would rather purchase their riding ability instead of earning it.

• Like 3

I have ordered the friction plates, should i get a clutch holder? Or is that just a waste of money.

10 hours ago, motorhog said:

I have ordered the friction plates, should i get a clutch holder? Or is that just a waste of money.

Not a bad tool to have, but not necessary. If you just have the EXP disk in there you won't have to remove the inner clutch hub at all. If you do have to remove the hub (part number: 5NL-16371-31-00) you're going to want to get another  lock washer (part number: 90215-16289-00). To remove that bolt I just put the bike in 5th gear and hold the back brake or when the bike is on it's side just put a foot on the rear tire to hold it. Make sure to torque that nut to spec as well (43 ft/lbs) and 7.2 ft/lbs for the 5 pressure plate bolts.

If it's the cheaper rekluse, you just need to add back in 5 plates I want too say once you remove it. Very simple to remove

So I have put in the stock clutch exactly how it should be, I have read the manual followed every instruction and have watch videos on you tube and I have done it all correctly. But there is a problem, so the clutch is extremely lose and i cant get it to go tighter (I am going to try again tomorrow since when i was a little on edge after it not working), but i can start up the bike and when i kick it into first gear it doesn't engage and it doesn't stall either. Its like it is always in neutral and cant get out of it. Also where the clutch cable connects to the engine that part is also very lose and it will not go back to it original place with me pushing it. I am not sure what is wrong with it, I am going to soak the friction plates over night in oil because they were only in oil for around 1-2 hours maybe that will make a difference. PLEASE HELP!

Okay so update, I took out the new friction plates and put in the old ones. It immediately fixed the problem but when i was tightening the last bolt it broke so I have to extract it and buy a new bolt. But it seams like everything is okay. 

• Like 1