Need help with 79 xr500 cam chain

Honestly not sure...i only pulled the head ( very top portion with no gasket) loosened the bolt and nut, gave a light tap and it took the slack out. I did this while running and it did nothing. I'm more of a replacer than a trouble shooter. It's got tons of torque, just sounded like a violent sewing machine and figured the chain was loose. With head off everythi g seemed to look good, no grooves on seats and such. I'm just concerned that since it reset while cold that I may damage something as it reaches normal temp, and if I should pull the jug and"reset" the tensioner.  I think I had a previous thread about this and could not find it.... it's been a while.thanls for the reply. I've got the motor together again, should I run it and warm up and try to readjust? Is this a quirk with the adjuster? Thanks man I appreciate your help!

Ugg....i guess I'll have to pull the jug to find out. I figured it was kosher since it tensioner. I 'll be taking the jug off this weekend and will post accordingly. Unless you think it's ok since it worked cold.

Sorry, got busy last night.....valves are adjust at manual specs. Yep...should have worked... loosened the bolt and the nut when warmed up, it didn't adjust, tapped lightly still nothing. That's why I pulled the head to check the chain and gear, loosened nut and bolt and tapped lightly and it took the slack off chain. I've read about chains not to buy and xl parts are somewhat compatable.....can anyone point me in the right direction for parts? Thanks

• 2 years later...