Jump to content

2001 KX 250 rebuild

Recommended Posts

So I just got down tearing down my 01 KX 250 I bought. I have ran into a few issues to say the least. Granted it is a 16 year old bike that has been sitting for about 4 years and I expected some skeletons to come loose. Plans are in the works for a 295 BB kit from millennium technologies as well as a crank rebuild. Frame, swing arm, sub frame, and chain guide will be powder coated black. Now to the issues... the sub frame was in two pieces, the cylinder was toast, a case half has a sever crack in it, all bearing were shot (expected that), most body bolts were missing (expected that), ruined clutch basket.... now before I support some random person on eBay I will ask here and support a fellow rider... does anyone have a spare set of bare cases or a sub frame laying around that I could purchase? Next week ill order sub frame and case if I don't have any feedback on here to get parts out and this project going... I have a deadline of mid September so I have time to tune carb and get to my buddies wedding in October.

 

Plans:

  • BB kit
  • New bearing throughout (body and engine)
  • new pipes
  • Rad valve
  • Hinson Billetproof clutch basket 
  • Black powder coated frame, swing arm, chain guide, sub frame
  • All new cables
  • New throttle
  • Rebuild shocks and forks

17620.jpeg

17472.jpeg

17620.jpeg

17621.jpeg

17623.jpeg

20170723_211620.jpg

20170724_185446.jpg

20170724_185507.jpg

20170724_185512.jpg

20170724_185523.jpg

20170726_194021.jpg

20170726_194025.jpg

20170726_194029.jpg

20170726_212830.jpg

20170726_212835.jpg

20170726_212838.jpg

received_10210818558114936.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been told yes and no and before asking around at various shops, friends, etc I didn't think it would have been because of where it is and how bad it is so I am just going to play it safe and replace it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah best option - youd hate it to implode on you after putting all that money and effort into a rebuild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My exact thought....how awful would it be to get it running and broken in and the first time you crank the hell out of the throttle the bottom end just exploded because you trusted a weld... I know I would probably loose my mind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The correct answer would be yes but I am unable to find matching cases on eBay right now but I'm going to continue to look until the crank comes back 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MooLegit thanks man... I didn't find those 2 matching cases but I did see the last two but didn't put it together that they were from the same place... i was expecting to spend 200 - 250 for a set and good thing would be I could either keep the other case half I have that's good or sell it and make some of my money back

36 minutes ago, kxrob said:

I would have the case repaired 

You would trust a weld over getting a new case? Please explain that logic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Greenmachine89 said:

MooLegit thanks man... I didn't find those 2 matching cases but I did see the last two but didn't put it together that they were from the same place... i was expecting to spend 200 - 250 for a set and good thing would be I could either keep the other case half I have that's good or sell it and make some of my money back

You would trust a weld over getting a new case? Please explain that logic

This is what happened to mine and I got it welded for ~$35 usd and have put 10 hrs on rebuild with no leaks or cracking 

IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1632.JPG

IMG_1635.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would repair yours since it is on the outside of the case... mine is between the crank area and trans so if it lets go I fear it will take out the entire bottom end

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am doing the same exact build on a 01 kx250 right now too .. it has a rekluse and a 295 E.G kit . That's the reason I decided to throw money at it . Anyways on the cases I've done one side of the cases at least 10 times in the last couple years with no issues . It's hard to find that exact part number 00-01 only in a matching set . You can use 99 as well it's a different part number ending in 1241 but it works for sure you can actually go down to 97 if you had to all those cases are basically the same till 02,Oh ya and the older kick starter shaft works to to replace the 13066-1099 obsolete part # in case anyone is trying to find that needle in a haystack I just went through that hunt and went with one from 98' works fine .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using ThumperTalk mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Greenwrench said:

I am doing the same exact build on a 01 kx250 right now too .. it has a rekluse and a 295 E.G kit . That's the reason I decided to throw money at it . Anyways on the cases I've done one side of the cases at least 10 times in the last couple years with no issues . It's hard to find that exact part number 00-01 only in a matching set . You can use 99 as well it's a different part number ending in 1241 but it works for sure you can actually go down to 97 if you had to all those cases are basically the same till 02,Oh ya and the older kick starter shaft works to to replace the 13066-1099 obsolete part # in case anyone is trying to find that needle in a haystack I just went through that hunt and went with one from 98' works fine .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using ThumperTalk mobile app
 

Good information thank you for the heads up... I also heard about using first or second gear from another year to widen the gears a little but I don't remember what years or what gears lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frame, swing arm, and chain guide are back from powder coat. Sub frame, and new case coming next week. A bunch of other goodies will be here tomorrow... stay tuned for something that resembles a dirt bike next weekend (hopefully)...

20170804_173834.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good.  Hows the build coming along?

I am new here and well into the process of rebuilding an 01 KX250 with help from my neighbor. Crank was seized so, rebuilt the bottom end. Cylinder was scared up so, sent up to MT and had the 295 big bore service done.  They wanted to replace the LH exhaust valve 12005-1304 (haven't been able to find one) but, talked to them and the valve wasn't shot so, I told them to proceed.  Got everything back and put it together. On the second tank of break-in mix gas so, haven't messed with fine tuning jetting, waiting until I go to 32:1 mix for that.  Still need to get the suspension setup for my weight and will mostly like swap out sprockets and add a FWW for trail riding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DoubleB72 said:

On the second tank of break-in mix gas so, haven't messed with fine tuning jetting, waiting until I go to 32:1 mix for that.  

2 heat cycles and your normal pre mix ratio and motor is run in , no need for 32:1 with modern oil and no need to use 2 tank fulls to " break in "

she is good after the motor has heated up for the 3rd time

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×