Flywheel Weight Knock 06 RM250

I recently picked up a mostly stock 06 RM250 in great shape. I ride mostly tight single track in the mountains of Idaho. I purchased a Gnarly pipe, Steahly 10oz FWW, skid plate, and brush guards. After installing the FWW I gave it a test drive. When coming on to the throttle I hear a knock, just one, until I let off the throttle and do it again. I have the FWW spacer installed and I didn't notice that the weight threaded cockeyed like some are known to do. I removed the cover to check that the weight was tight, which it was, and reinstalled the cover. What I didn't check was whether the nut was rubbing the inside of the cover. However, when test riding the second time, I reached down and felt the cover as a came on to the throttle and didn't feel what I was hearing.

Anyone else experience this? Is this normal with added weight to the FW?

Thanks for your input.

ride it with out the cover and lesson for the noise

Update: I removed the cover and there are no marks what-so-ever. Apparently the spacing is adequate and the weight seems to be sitting square. Is it possible the knock when first coming on to the throttle is just what a 10 oz FWW on this bike sounds like?

Doubt the knock is normal , what's your top end like , when there is to much piston to bore clearance they knock when trying to lug the motor 

Edited by kxrob

I'm not sure what the top end is like. I just picked up the bike last week. I road it home, then ordered the FWW for trail riding, so I've spent very little time on the bike before or after the FWW was added.

I do know that the sound is literally when I first come on to the throttle, whether moving or at a stop, and I hear one knock, as if the sound was made when the FW first started to spin. Then if I'm continuously on the gas, I hear nothing.

I am not motor savvy, so I don't know much about motors.

Thanks for the input.

15 hours ago, ProAlpine said:

I'm not sure what the top end is like. I just picked up the bike last week. I road it home, then ordered the FWW for trail riding, so I've spent very little time on the bike before or after the FWW was added.

I do know that the sound is literally when I first come on to the throttle, whether moving or at a stop, and I hear one knock, as if the sound was made when the FW first started to spin. Then if I'm continuously on the gas, I hear nothing.

I am not motor savvy, so I don't know much about motors.

Thanks for the input.

Have you got a video?

Turns out it was chain slap! I road next to my buddy and he could see and hear the chain slap when I lugged it. I tightened the chain a bit and hope it will fix the problem! Good to know it wasn't the FWW. 

• Like 1