250exc or 450excf

yes i am back another stupid, pointless, annoying question that i have already got answered from my mates, but im going to ask it anyway, so here goes.

im going for my bike Ls and i want to ride trail as well, i am also going to be getting a ute to transport the bike if needed, therefore road use with the bike will be minimum. My mates got a 2007 wr450f, which i have ridden before, and hes getting bike Ls as well so we can go trail riding more often etc. if you know i did have a 250sx, which at the time was like "hell yea lets go full ball and grab a 250 as my first 2 stroke", suprised to say, it wasnt as bad as it could have been as it was my first 2 stroke, powerband did take a while to get used to and even untill the day i sold it (about 10 hours of actually riding) i still was pretty bad at riding it :lame: in my defesne though i am not the tallest person in the world, neither do i have the longest legs (im about 5'5) and the bike was set up for an 80kg guy (im 60). all in all the combination was not there hahaha.    so, my stupid question for the day is, what bike should i get now? budget is same as before, i can afford a decent bike, 09'-10' if im lucky.

i would like to get another 2 stroke in all honesty becasue i didnt feel like i have it a good enough shot, so if i were to get one again it would most likely be a 250exc or 200exc, depending of whats available in my area. and i will be getting the suspension set up for my weight, handlebars for my style etc etc, to make it easier for me than before (i had a 20cm gap from each foot on last bike when i sat on it) and mixing oil and fuel wsa not an issue it didnt really bother me at all.

Now 4 strokes i have ridden before and i am quite comfortable riding them, smooth power, dont need to mix fuel, go further on 1 tank, etc. but they are heavier and part and maitanence are more expesnive, but you can do it lest, whereas 2 strokes maintanence is cheaper but you need to do it more frequently. if i was going to get a 4 stroke it wouldnt really matter what colour, ktm, yamaha, etc, they all feeel the same to me hahaa:p

to sum up, i would like 2 give 2 strokes another shot but not sure it=f it would be a good idea or not, again, road use very minimum and i will be adjusting the bike this time to suit me instead of being stingy and leaving it how it is, thanks again for reading  my long as things guys :thumbsup:

A guy that typed all of that deserves a thoughtful answer. Wish I had one. The biggest issue that keeps me from pontificating about what YOU should buy is geographic. It seems quite likely that you are living in a country with British or British Colonial roots. Your use of "mates", "colour", and kilograms makes it highly likely. And sadly, I don't know one damn thing about the rules and norms for riding anywhere but Michigan. If you live in Great Britain then you can ride your dirt bike on public roads, I believe. Not sure about Australia or New Zealand. Gibraltar? Who knows. I guess if you're of Brit descent you probably need to ride an AJP or a Brough or an Ariel! I jest.

Anyhow, if the bike spends 90% of it's time on real trails, get a 2stroke. Lighter, better handling, cheaper to buy and maintain, more fun. If you spend 50% of your time on roads, get the 4 stroke. Better fuel range, no mixing, smoother street power. But you should probably get a 2 stroke regardless, just because it's the right thing to do...

• Like 2

i live in Australia hahah, and yea road use would probably be minimum apart from the odd ride to and form school (10 mins each way) or if i just want to ride the bike instead of the car. id probably go bus riding on weekends a lot so definitely used more of off road. in Australia you can ride ride dirt bikes on the road but they need to make under a certain amount of noise, but i checked and i can get the 2 stroke registered with the ride exhaust (for noise), lights and blinkers, etc. but yea i guess ill start having a better look at 2 strokes then, thanks again guys :thumbsup:

Unless you're a Pro level racer the 450 is s basically a detriment unless you're completely moto.

8 hours ago, markit said:

Unless you're a Pro level racer the 450 is s basically a detriment unless you're completely moto.

what do you mean? detriment?

hey just wondering but do the exc models have an auto fuel mixer thing on them, i heard some 2 stroke dont need to be pre mixed and so can be refueled same as a 4 stroke, with 2 seperate containers attacked to bike with a part that mixes at a set ratio?

On 8/15/2017 at 5:59 AM, KimPe said:

Only the 2018 EXC TPI models have separate fuel and oil tanks.

yea thanks haha i searched it up but sadly i dont have the moeny to buy that :D

anythoughts over 200 or 250?

Trail riding, racing, level (A,b,c?) do you like to ride the pipe or lug along? Above 230lb? Mountains or sea level?

4 hours ago, evanalmighty said:

anythoughts over 200 or 250?

I just bought a 200 after riding my 250 for a while.  The 200 is definitely lighter, but definitely doesn't run with the 250.  If I were only going to keep one, I'd probably keep the 250.

All the 2000+ 450s are fast and torquey, but fragile and expensive to repair. I had one. 

You can put many more hours on a 2 stroke and repairs, even major ones, are cheaper and easier. 

The 200 is a better learner bike and better at technical stuff but still very fast. If you are learning, it is a better choice. 

The 250 is brutal. You will learn FEAR. Seriously. A good rider on a 200 will pass a poor rider on a 250 on any sort of track.

The 200 EXC (or its variants) has a wider ratio transmission and therefore a higher top speed than the typical 250 which is better for highway use (lower cruise rpm). My 125 (similar transmission) tops out at 130-140kph. My 300 (similar to the 250) tops out at about 110-120kph when sprocketed for typical use. I ride my 125 harder and typically faster than my 300 because I can ride it with confidence. My 125 will not accelerate with a 250 but it keeps up on tight trails and catches up with a higher top speed on long straight sections. For what you are asking, the 200 is a better choice. 

Edited by sbest

The 200 revs like a 125 but can also lug along pretty well when it gets steep and slow. Is it going to rip you a new one like a 300? No Is it going to keep up with a 300 or 450 in the desert? Hell no. But if you love riding singletrack and you aren't an A level rider, the 200 is a great bike.

Few things to add ... the 2008, 2009, and maybe even 2010 KTM 450 EXC and 530 EXC and known to have a lot of motor issues.  I would avoid those years.  Around 2011 & certainly 2012 those issues were sorted out, but then those might be out of budget for you.

For a 450 EXC, a 2005-2007 is a good year model.  Well sorted out.  These do require maintenance, they do wear stuff out, but for a light weight, high horsepower motor, I think they are reliable.

For 2 strokes, the 2007 and older chassis has lower seat height.  They really went taller in 2008!  A really sweet bike is a 2007 200 EXC.  Very light, lower seat height (than 08+), well sorted out bike.  The 250/300 EXCs of that age are also nice, but the 200 is lighter and feels much lighter as well.

If I was doing pure dirt bike riding, no street stuff, I'd go for that 2007 200 EXC.  If I was going longer distances (so gas mileage becomes as issue), dirt roads, some pavement, but still an offroad focus, pulling into gas stations in small towns (petrol stations in Australia?) to fill up, I'd go with a KTM 450 EXC in the 05-07 range.

1 minute ago, usedtobefast said:

Few things to add ... the 2008, 2009, and maybe even 2010 KTM 450 EXC and 530 EXC and known to have a lot of motor issues.  I would avoid those years.  Around 2011 & certainly 2012 those issues were sorted out, but then those might be out of budget for you.

For a 450 EXC, a 2005-2007 is a good year model.  Well sorted out.  These do require maintenance, they do wear stuff out, but for a light weight, high horsepower motor, I think they are reliable.

For 2 strokes, the 2007 and older chassis has lower seat height.  They really went taller in 2008!  A really sweet bike is a 2007 200 EXC.  Very light, lower seat height (than 08+), well sorted out bike.  The 250/300 EXCs of that age are also nice, but the 200 is lighter and feels much lighter as well.

If I was doing pure dirt bike riding, no street stuff, I'd go for that 2007 200 EXC.  If I was going longer distances (so gas mileage becomes as issue), dirt roads, some pavement, but still an offroad focus, pulling into gas stations in small towns (petrol stations in Australia?) to fill up, I'd go with a KTM 450 EXC in the 05-07 range.

2009 they fixed the oil migration issues with updated parts including a revised seal... The XC4 motor platform is still used in KTMs factory rally bikes but with highly modified internals. The motor itself is very good. I had a 08 530exc and comparing them back to back with my 12 500exc motor wise, the 530 was every bit as good or better. Chassis wise the 12 was still major improvement forward in design. I actually prefer the linkless chassis over the linkage but don't like the wide ratio offered in XCWF models... 

Edited by Monk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Monk said:

2009 they fixed the oil migration issues with updated parts including a revised seal... 

But then they had piston ring sealing issues.  And the valve guides installed wrong issue.  I know 08 and 09 where bad.  Just couldn't remember if by 2010 everything was sorted out.

4 minutes ago, usedtobefast said:

But then they had piston ring sealing issues.  And the valve guides installed wrong issue.  I know 08 and 09 where bad.  Just couldn't remember if by 2010 everything was sorted out.

Midway through 09 saw the updated parts... Though not every 08/09 had the issues either... 

On 30/07/2017 at 9:09 AM, evanalmighty said:

i live in Australia hahah, and yea road use would probably be minimum apart from the odd ride to and form school (10 mins each way) or if i just want to ride the bike instead of the car. id probably go bus riding on weekends a lot so definitely used more of off road. in Australia you can ride ride dirt bikes on the road but they need to make under a certain amount of noise, but i checked and i can get the 2 stroke registered with the ride exhaust (for noise), lights and blinkers, etc. but yea i guess ill start having a better look at 2 strokes then, thanks again guys :thumbsup:

How far do you ride and what kind of trail?