Sign in to follow this  

Stuck on High Beam

Today I found my High beam indicator turned on, The switch was on the low setting, I flipped It back and forth many times but nothing,  I leaned over the headlight and flipped the switch , no light changed. So its not just an indicator problem, but the high beam must be really stuck on.

It too hot to work in my garage, but I need to fix.

Im going to try hitting the switch with some wd40, then probably break out the voltmeter. I tend to keep my switches lubricated , so skeptical that's the issue, or maybe it vibrated apart internally?

Edited by Spud786

Too hot to work in the garage? You have air conditioning in the house don't you. Strap on a pair and start working on the bike in the living room, while watching the races of course :D

HAH!   only thing I never wash my bike  , wife my not like the dirt.

• Like 1

Okay, so went to look at the issue and decided to see if it still does it before touching, now lowbeam is switching again.  I did all this out on the ride, so something must have cooled down after the ride and its working again. Maybe the solid state lighting relay?

As mention after bike was home and cooled the issue disappeared. I pulled the headlight , separated lighting connections , lubed the hi'low switch, and issue never happened on todays ride.

Im kind of bewildered why the high beam stuck on yesterday?

any speculation, Im thinking the lighting relay would only kill the lighting, not cause high beam to stick on.

4weeks later and several hundred miles, multiple rides, Ive had no issue with the highbeam, till today, stuck on again.

Last time after bike cooled down, issue disappeared, garage is too hot for bike to coll down right now, and highbeam still on.

I wonder if the bulb itself can cause this, as light is always on with the key?

Okay, looks like its become a hard failure, and the issue turned out to be the actual BULB.

stuck on high beam with indicator on and switch would not work.

soon as I removed the bulb , all the switching began working normally and the indicator too.

Installed new bulb and everything back to normal.