2004 CRF250-R Front Wheel Swap With A 2004 CRF250-X

I have a 2004 CRF250R I purchased new and has served me well on the track.  I just turned 65, yes I still ride, but my interest has moved from motocross to Dual Sport riding.  I have installed a Baja Designs Dual Sport lighting kit, rewound the stater, installed a smaller rear sprocket, a Trail Tech Voyager, changed the tires and plated the bike.  However, I discovered the Tail Tech Voyager does not have an easily re-settable odometer.  This is a necessity when navigating a desert route using a roll chart on a desert Dual Sport ride like Barstow to Vegas.

I am now exploring using a front wheel/hub from a 2004 CFR250X along with the speedometer gear box assembly to drive an aftermarket mechanical speedometer with a re-settable odometer.

My question is will the front wheel assembly and speedometer gear box from a 2004 CFR250X fit between the forks of my 2004 CRF250R?  I am hoping that all I would have to do is slip the axle in, connect the speedometer cable to the speedometer and be done.

Your thoughts??

arent the hubs different - the X hub has raised tabs that catch on the gearbox drive thingy

gear-box-assyspd_big44800KSC003-02_a62a.jpg

Yes sir, they are and thank you for the response.  I am proposing taking the rim, hub, speedometer gearbox drive, and spacers as a "unit" from an 04 CRF250-X and using them on my 04 CFR250-R.  What I am trying to determine is if the 04 CRF250-X "unit" will fit between the front shocks of my 04 CRF250-R and whether can I use my existing front axle.

If everything will fit, this will solve all my problems. I can then connect the speedometer cable to an aftermarket mechanical speedometer with an odometer.

IMO you should be able to swap the whole 04 front wheel and odometer over from the X to the R but I stand to be corrected.

But as another suggestion, I'm using a dedicated NON-activated phone with a GPS app on my phone and made a mount for it (total cost was $20.00). I put this on when I'm riding places I need a GPS and it gives me EVERYTHING like speed. distance etc.

My 2 cents and IMO cheap and about as easy as it gets and if you are interested in this, let me know and I'll post the extensive link to using a smart phone as a GPS in a TT forum.

My R setup.

20160515_102848.thumb.jpg.9f048f6beabe579b16767c52b51f8773.jpg

This is how I normally run it with an OFF LINE (no cell/wifi) map and I can display a dashboard on screen of any real time stats like an odometer etc if I want but the dash board is off in the screen shot of my phone zoomed out to 3KM.

Screenshot_2015-08-09-11-10-35.png.8ca93645dd821fa7c1f48a6411e8459b.png

Or there are number native of real time stat screens options you can displace and customize. This shows a compass and other stats.

Screenshot_2017-03-08-17-53-31.thumb.png.a89e42cb084b771f1c57976d49de70db.png

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1