Is this how 300's sound at idle?

Brand new 300 xcw 2018. Is this noise at idle normal? It seems like it's coming from behind the big cover next to the rear brake lever, and it's frequency correlates to rpm. Almost sounds like something is rubbing the cover maybe?

All I hear are the gardeners at the moment :lol:

Me thinks you forgot an attachment;)

• Like 1

probably hearing the piston cycle up and down in the cylinder.  A weird noise to new 2 smoker owners.

On another note,  2 stroke race bikes don't idle that well.  Burp, sputter, ping.  Look up how to do a plug chop to make sure you aren't running rich or lean, and everything else should take care of itself. 

You can commonly hear the power stoke when the drive gear hits the clutch hub gear. Bikes with steel hubs are always loud . 

Tuned decent they idle good. 

Thanks! I am for sure a newb, and not ashamed. 34 years old and ride the first mile on a bike two years ago. Loving it, but I admittedly am very green when it comes to to bikes. Spent many years running turbo 2 stroke snowmobiles, but am trying to learn the bikes without too many expensive mechanical mistakes

33 minutes ago, thebreezeexc said:

Thanks! I am for sure a newb, and not ashamed. 34 years old and ride the first mile on a bike two years ago. Loving it, but I admittedly am very green when it comes to to bikes. Spent many years running turbo 2 stroke snowmobiles, but am trying to learn the bikes without too many expensive mechanical mistakes

This is a great bike to ride and it will do good for you. Don't over think it and enjoy!! Just follow recommended maintenance and check the data base here. 

probably hearing the piston cycle up and down in the cylinder.  A weird noise to new 2 smoker owners.

On another note,  2 stroke race bikes don't idle that well.  Burp, sputter, ping.  Look up how to do a plug chop to make sure you aren't running rich or lean, and everything else should take care of itself. 

Isn't the 2018 's fuel injected?

Sent from my XT1254 using ThumperTalk mobile app

On 7/30/2017 at 9:08 PM, thebreezeexc said:

...Spent many years running turbo 2 stroke snowmobiles, but am trying to learn the bikes without too many expensive mechanical mistakes

aaahh...too late for that.  You already bought a KTM.  ;)