new bike hard start no dmv papers. need help

Just bought a bike.  09' KLX250S.

When I first saw the bike, motor was warm ..guy said it was from sitin in the sun.

Wasn't able to start it without the choke. Let it run twice for about 5 mins. drove it for like less than a min (still hard start, nothing without the choke). 

Last I took it to a near by parking lot drove it for 5 mins, shut it off fired up fine. 

just worried the carb needs some tuning..

tail pipe looks good no burnt black soot, no moisture, no extra rich smells .. but its sitting in my garage smells a little like gasoline.

Might need to clean or tune carb? is that how bikes just are ?? (hold the choke on the first start, drive it for a while, and it will be fine?)

As of now I think any motor should be able to fire up second or third without the choke time whether or not it was driven, as long is has a little time to run..

the guy also didn't give me a pink , he said it was coming in the mail. He met me at a local motorcycle shop signed a piece of paper that said he sold it to me put his drivers license number there (some how he did it by memory with the DL) and gave me registration paper. Told him ill fill out a bill of sale when I get home, forge his signature for him and call him before I do it. He said fine. 

usually I wouldn't buy any vehicle .. but somehow I kind of think it will be fine without the pink ? not sure what to do now though.

Edited by horrofan

On 7/29/2017 at 5:05 PM, horrorfan said:

Told him ill fill out a bill of sale when I get home, forge his signature for him and call him before I do it. He said fine. 

really smart to post this on an open forum? haha

• Like 1

These bikes are notoriously lean even at sea level for emissions. It needs richer jets. If you havent done that before pay a shop. 

What he gave you is a bill of sale, take that and the registration to the dmv and tell them the guy lost the title and you need to apply for a lost one. Good luck with that in Cali. LOL

On 9/3/2017 at 8:33 AM, kdxyardsale said:

These bikes are notoriously lean even at sea level for emissions. It needs richer jets. If you havent done that before pay a shop. 

What he gave you is a bill of sale, take that and the registration to the dmv and tell them the guy lost the title and you need to apply for a lost one. Good luck with that in Cali. LOL

lol thanks for the help. This was quite a while ago , I've got everything cleared up since then. 

The guy mailed me the old title and I also got a new one and got it reg'd. I think I was just being paranoid about the motor, the bike runs and drives perfectly I've but 20+ hours on it and it honestly just needs a warm up before ( I confirmed the manual ) the manual says to open the choke all the way everytime motor is cold.

ill look into getting a richer jet. Id prefer building the carb by my self though.

but Is there anything wrong with running the stock leaness? engine wear?.. I have also read that they are notoriously lean.  

but honestly I kind of like how I can come home and park it in my garage and it won't smell like gasoline or any cancerous gasses. I also enjoy the current performance of the motorcycle so maybe I don't really need to jet it.

Check the spark plug, if it is dark tan to brown you are OK, if it is really light tan it is too lean. Too lean (really lean) can cause engine damage. The engine can get so hot it ruins the valves. If a four stroke is jetted properly and the carb overflow is not dripping you will not have any parked gas smell. Mine has a dirt bike style fuel cap on my 3 gallon IMS tank and I have no fuel smell ever from my bike.

On 9/8/2017 at 5:24 PM, kdxyardsale said:

Check the spark plug, if it is dark tan to brown you are OK, if it is really light tan it is too lean. Too lean (really lean) can cause engine damage. The engine can get so hot it ruins the valves. If a four stroke is jetted properly and the carb overflow is not dripping you will not have any parked gas smell. Mine has a dirt bike style fuel cap on my 3 gallon IMS tank and I have no fuel smell ever from my bike.

way of head of ya ... was planning to do it this up coming weekend. just need to get caught of with some work.

was going to swap oil for the first time, check out what that looks like... swap new plugs check the plug tip, check out whatever else is under the seat, lube chain a bit ..etc.

i actually dropped the bike a few days ago.. VERY BAD LUCK, some guy braked really hard ( i was behind him ) i had to brake , it would have been fine but there happened to be honestly a PUDDLE of motor oil or something right where i had to brake ....

no damage, throttle just got spinned backwards a little... but the bike does run a little different i noticed. Cant see anything wrong with the bike...almost seems like the timing is a little off. 

..but anyways since i was going to take off the seat maybe ill pull the valve cover idk... just to look inside?

thanks yeah, my bike rarely smells like gas. just a little bit of lingering exhaust smell. i usually let it air out before i park it.

Edited by horrorfan

That sucks, you might take the throttle housing apart and make sure that is not your issue. Maybe the routing of the cable of housing damage. Throwing it down like that rarely affects the motor. Since the throttle is different look there first. Maybe even take it apart and the start it and operate by pulling the cable to eliminate the housing.

2 hours ago, kdxyardsale said:

That sucks, you might take the throttle housing apart and make sure that is not your issue. Maybe the routing of the cable of housing damage. Throwing it down like that rarely affects the motor. Since the throttle is different look there first. Maybe even take it apart and the start it and operate by pulling the cable to eliminate the housing.

yeah it was really stupid... but luckily nothing that bad happened.

already checked that. i adjusted it to manual spec.
physical pulling response feels good ..and wire never touched the floor wasnt stretched.

a mechanic suggested airbox is clogged with oil. told me to start there.