Are 02+ CR250's as bad as they say?

It's been quite a few years since I posted here and my old account is gone :(

After riding 4 strokes for the last 8 years I am looking to move back to the 2 stroke world. I have always been a die hard Honda guy and loved the way the gen 3 frame handled in my 04 crf250. So naturally, my search for a smoker has led me to 02+ cr250's. However, reading the magazine shootouts from back in the day say that these bikes were horrible, especially compared to the yz's of the day. 

I know that everyone here will be biased since its a honda forum but I wanted to see if anyone had any comparisons with the yz's. On the used market, I can get a cr250 for about 1k less than a comparable yz.

Thanks for any help!

I don't think the yz motor would be so much better that you would pay $1000 more for the bike, considering you like the handling of the honda. You could spend $1000 on the honda motor and it would out perform the yz.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

I didn't really like the 02-04 engine but they can be fixed for a few hundred dollars.  I don't understand why people like the YZ so much, it turns poorly compared to the Honda and the motor is gutless.  I would always choose the Honda over the Yamaha.

LOL !  It's like beating a dead horse & they keep reviving it to beat it to death again.  I've been on this forum since 2006 & lost count through the years how many times this topic has come up.  I've owned the 02-07 CR2's & 02,04 YZ2's & sold the YZ's & kept the CR's due to the chassis / engine.

Below is a link to a video of a guy racing basically a stock 2002 CR250r against 2017 KTM's / Husky's 250 (300 ?) 2 strokes.  The CR only appears to have a Dep pipe with a stock engine + suspension work.  It's impressive to say the least since he's racing a 15 yr. old technology bike against a modern one that is suppose to be superior.

You can go to the 17 min. mark if you want to skip the intro..   The 02-07 CR250's aren't slow BTW. 

Edited by H4L
  • Like 1

I have an 02’. I like it. Doesn’t have the yank most of them did, and still some, so doesn’t “feel” as fast but it isn’t slow. I like the turnability. Just feels comfortable. Gearing matters.

Put a few 450 faster guys on mine to see if I was missing something. They didn’t think so. And was nice seeing smiles saying it was fun.

The 01-02’s were the engines but I like my 02.

Some just feel different about it because it feels different.

I've also been looking for an 02+ cr250.  I've never ridden an aluminum frame cr250 but I've ridden the aluminum frame yz250's.  The yz is a good bike but in my opinion they are overrated on this site.  The bottom end pulls good but it just falls flat on its face at high rpm.  Also the yz rides really weird to me, the best I can explain it is it feels like you are riding really high up like the center of gravity is super high.  My 06 crf450r feels much more planted and stable.  If you want to change the power of a cr you could have it ported.

6 hours ago, Kevin Milne said:

After riding 4 strokes for the last 8 years I am looking to move back to the 2 stroke world. I have always been a die hard Honda guy and loved the way the gen 3 frame handled in my 04 crf250. So naturally, my search for a smoker has led me to 02+ cr250's. However, reading the magazine shootouts from back in the day say that these bikes were horrible, especially compared to the yz's of the day. 

I know that everyone here will be biased since its a honda forum but I wanted to see if anyone had any comparisons with the yz's. On the used market, I can get a cr250 for about 1k less than a comparable yz.

Thanks for any help!

PM Sent!

1 hour ago, 96motorhead said:

Also the yz rides really weird to me, the best I can explain it is it feels like you are riding really high up like the center of gravity is super high.

Same here, I always felt the rear end was trying to bounce past the front end when entering corners.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Were there major changes from 02-07? I am planning on doing a motor rebuild anyway so an older bike doesn't bother me as long as there aren't any major problems with the earlier models. 

I ride late model YZs (144, 285) and love them but the handling on the CRs are great and the power is there if you wring it a little more. I ride mostly woods nowadays. I'm talking about 250s though the CR 125 IMHO just aren't as good as the YZ in the power department. Honda workmanship is also second to none.

Craigus

19 hours ago, Kevin Milne said:

Thanks for any help!

Check your messages 

Edited by Dklassen

The YZ250's don't turn well, but are stable at higher speeds.  Have ridden a few 06-14 models that felt similiar to the steel frame geometry with a little rigid feel to the chassis.  The engine is decent in the low-mid area & signs off sooner then the CR250 02+ models.     

Owned a 2002 CR250 and a 2007 YZ250. The CR outhandles the YZ every day. The CR motor has less low end but is better in power delivery. Less surprises which can be useful because it fatiques less. IMO, a great bike.

• Like 1

On 30/07/2017 at 9:25 AM, Br0ck said:

What he said^^^^^

Sent from my SM-G903W using ThumperTalk mobile app

On 30/07/2017 at 9:55 AM, H4L said:

LOL !  It's like beating a dead horse & they keep reviving it to beat it to death again.  I've been on this forum since 2006 & lost count through the years how many times this topic has come up.  I've owned the 02-07 CR2's & 02,04 YZ2's & sold the YZ's & kept the CR's due to the chassis / engine.

Below is a link to a video of a guy racing basically a stock 2002 CR250r against 2017 KTM's / Husky's 250 (300 ?) 2 strokes.  The CR only appears to have a Dep pipe with a stock engine + suspension work.  It's impressive to say the least since he's racing a 15 yr. old technology bike against a modern one that is suppose to be superior.

You can go to the 17 min. mark if you want to skip the intro..   The 02-07 CR250's aren't slow BTW. 

Cool video. Hadn't seen that before. 

4 hours ago, wsc96 said:

Cool video. Hadn't seen that before. 

Agree.  It shows that the 02 + CR250r's aren't slow & are still competitive against 17 model orange / white 2T KTM's.   The rider on the CR was right there on the starts against the newer technology.  I believe if the CR engine had some mild port work or even a head modification it could've been the edge the guy needed to get a holeshot.        

• Like 3

I used to have an old ragged out 2002 CR250. Bike got the hole shot one time in a big hare scramble. Not slow! 

The power delivery was smooth and consistent. She'd lug from the bottom without stalling when it was needed, mid to top was where the smooth hard hitting power was. Bike made more than enough power... actually needed to tame the hit with a flywheel weight. 

As far as comparing it to the YZ... apples to oranges. Both great bikes. You can tune them and get them set up to ride how you want and they'll both perform just fine.