I want to buy my first dirt bike, not to hit trails or anything, just to mess around and go fast. I know neither of these bikes are great quality but I have the option between a 2015 SSR SR125 for $700 or a 2016 Tao Tao Db-17 125cc for $750. Both are listed as "like new." The Tao Tao apparently has some work that has been done to it, not sure about the SSR. I don't know anything about bikes so please help me decide.

00404_6J20Fh1QXlL_600x450.jpg

01212_4pWScUMhZsq_600x450.jpg

I think that the motors on the bikes are the same and I am under the impression that both "brands" are just different names on products made by the same giant chinese motorcycle factory. These engines appear in a wide range of Chinese scooters that seem to be paluaged by build quality issues on the carburetor and chassis of the scooter, but the engines seem to be bulletproof (If I recall correctly, they are engines made under contract FOR Honda, but re-branded). Ont h other hand, there seems to be a dedicated tribe of Youtubers who's sole mission is to destroy these bikes. They fail. SO, take the bulletproof engine and put it in an indestructible chassis and I should think that these are pretty good play bikes for the money. I wouldn't pay $700-750 for a used one though when for another hundred bucks you can ahve a brand new one delivered to your door. The SSR is slightly more expensive, so the better deal of the two bikes that your re looking at.