Petcock on prime for 4 days

Frickin' dealer mechanic. Got it back from it's 6,000km service and just discovered the petcock has been on prime since. 4 days. I have the carb off to swap a jet out so I can't start it to see if the oil level is up - should I just change the oil anyway? It's a 2017 so presumably the float and seals are in good order.

Got doused in gas when I pulled the fuel line from a nearly full clarke tank - that was my way of noticing the petcock. Sheesh.

19 minutes ago, Frankfurter said:

Frickin' dealer mechanic. Got it back from it's 6,000km service and just discovered the petcock has been on prime since. 4 days. I have the carb off to swap a jet out so I can't start it to see if the oil level is up - should I just change the oil anyway? It's a 2017 so presumably the float and seals are in good order.

Got doused in gas when I pulled the fuel line from a nearly full clarke tank - that was my way of noticing the petcock. Sheesh.

If you have a hard time cranking it over I'd check the oil and smell. If you smell gas, change it. Since it's new, I'm guessing you're ok.........

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

I would doubt that a brand new float o-ring Is already leaking. It's probably fine. Put it back together and start it up. Or just dump the oil and measure it. Either way no damage will be done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

2 hours ago, cowpie said:

its not going to hurt to change the oil ... i wouldnt even second guess it just do it ..

3 hours ago, Signman606 said:

If you have a hard time cranking it over I'd check the oil and smell. If you smell gas, change it. Since it's new, I'm guessing you're ok.........

Thanks for the input all. Got the carb back in and gave it a quick run to check oil level. It's either way over filled or there's gas in it. I can't smell gas, but I'm not going to risk it, I'll change the oil.

• Like 2

If the float and seat o-ring are in good shape, there is nothing wrong with it being on prime. It's also not the mechanics fault that you didn't look at the valve before removing the line. ;)

• Like 1

I lost half a tank somewhere, only rode 35 miles on full tank and it started sputtering...had to hit reserve, oil doesn't smell like gas, so where it went I have no idea...any suggestions?