2018 500 exc first ride

Hey guys I rode my brand new exc 500 last weekend for the first time. I checked the air filter before riding to make sure it had plenty of oil from the factory which it did. It turned out the trails we were riding on were dusty as shit! Some dust made it through the filter and left a film on the intake reeds. I took the throttle body off to clean it out since it had dust in it. Have you guys ever had this happen? I'm hoping it didn't do extreme damage to the engine. It was just super fine dust that made it through. I bought the twin air dust cover to make sure this doesn't happen again

1 hour ago, arachac said:

Hey guys I rode my brand new exc 500 last weekend for the first time. I checked the air filter before riding to make sure it had plenty of oil from the factory which it did. It turned out the trails we were riding on were dusty as shit! Some dust made it through the filter and left a film on the intake reeds. I took the throttle body off to clean it out since it had dust in it. Have you guys ever had this happen? I'm hoping it didn't do extreme damage to the engine. It was just super fine dust that made it through. I bought the twin air dust cover to make sure this doesn't happen again

you took the throttle body off? holy shit.

7 hours ago, arachac said:

Yeah what's up? Haha

I'm impressed. That's a bit of a hassle to get to. As an aside, I had a film of dust on the inside of my boot too.  when I took the reeds out my white sensor was light brownish in color.  I'm guessing it was from oil leaking in to the box.

Edited by xrbrp

Ktm uses a Biodegradable oil, I hate the stuff, it definitely has no ability to halt water, and is in a constant state of breakdown. Maxima FFT or Belray are non bio types, they do not naturally break down(very tacky), so that will aide stuff , not going through the filter.  Twin airs are very porous, so needs a strong filter oil.

2 hours ago, xrbrp said:

I'm impressed. That's a bit of a hassle to get to. As an aside, I had a film of dust on the inside of my boot too.  when I took the reeds out my white sensor was light brownish in color.  I'm guessing it was from oil leaking in to the box.

Yeah It was more of a hassle than I'm used to coming off of a yz250. There is a lot more to this bike. Well at least I'm not alone, I'm sure the prefilter will help and Ill probably try the bel ray oil

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arachac said:

Yeah It was more of a hassle than I'm used to coming off of a yz250. There is a lot more to this bike. Well at least I'm not alone, I'm sure the prefilter will help and Ill probably try the bel ray oil

After you posted your Dali Lama, I went and checked my filter again since it looped pretty hard yesterday.  All good. 

2 hours ago, Spud786 said:

Ktm uses a Biodegradable oil, I hate the stuff, it definitely has no ability to halt water, and is in a constant state of breakdown. Maxima FFT or Belray are non bio types, they do not naturally break down(very tacky), so that will aide stuff , not going through the filter.  Twin airs are very porous, so needs a strong filter oil.

Yeah I've been using notoil for a while but I oil the shit out of it and after I clean the filter I wait until the day before I ride to oil it. I think I'll try the bel ray oil though with the twin air prefilter

1 hour ago, arachac said:

Yeah I've been using notoil for a while but I oil the shit out of it and after I clean the filter I wait until the day before I ride to oil it. I think I'll try the bel ray oil though with the twin air prefilter

Non Bio's are real oil, you'll need a better method to break the oil down. The Dry dust prefilter does help a lot, but you will get some suckage in between the filters, But don't let that sway you the prefilter does have a positive filtering effect.

Recently I tried the dry dust filter plus the sand filter, to me that is too much unless you are going to be in torcheable conditions to where , engine concern is more important than full power. you could also run the sand filter without the dry dust filter, it will still prefilter .