How does this plug look?

20170729_174136.jpg.a0d79eccea50589ceca5563eb045ed54.jpg

This is after I wiped it down with a rag. Had a little more darkness to it but I think that looks pretty good right?

And here is my 2001 YZ250. Pretty much done until I have to do a too end. I think I'm just gonna buy the wrench rabbit complete rebuild and replace every bearing in there. I was almost interested in doing that big bore kit I think new displacement us 297cc. I bet it would be a strait beast.

20170729_173244.jpg.6d88cf8db670efe5100f72c10d1fc507.jpg

The tip's coloration doesn't say much about pilot and needle settings,

which are usually determined by best throttle response and acceleration.

You could have the perfect sized pilot jet and needle settings for power but with prolonged low speed operation it would still read rich.

Main jet / wide-open throttle is read this way by chopping a plug: http://www.braigasen.com/howtoread.htm

28 minutes ago, mlatour said:

The tip's coloration doesn't say much about pilot and needle settings,

which are usually determined by best throttle response and acceleration.

You could have the perfect sized pilot jet and needle settings for power but with prolonged low speed operation it would still read rich.

Main jet / wide-open throttle is read this way by chopping a plug: http://www.braigasen.com/howtoread.htm

At least you know it won't be melting holes in you piston and besides, you shouldn't be riding it down in the lower end of the power band for extended periods of time anyway!

3 minutes ago, GlennRay said:

I agree, that picture is what should be used as the standard that two strokes should be tuned to!

Well thats cool because I jetted it with the jd kit I bought.

21 hours ago, GlennRay said:

besides, you shouldn't be riding it down in the lower end of the power band for extended periods of time anyway!

Why do you say that? When pilot, air screw, needle and main along with plug temperature are correct, you should be able to. Some of the tight, rocky eastern woods I ride often force me to lug and ride low rpm an hour at a time. Never fouled a plug or carboned up a top end or powervalve.

Edited by zeke383
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, GlennRay said:

At least you know it won't be melting holes in you piston and besides, you shouldn't be riding it down in the lower end of the power band for extended periods of time anyway!

just like zeke383 i am interested in the answer as to why 

• Like 1

It won't hurt the bike to ride it in the lower end of the power band if the jetting is correct.  I was speaking about using a MX bike for trail riding, it's not what it was made to do.  I was out of line however, if the bike performs in a satisfactory way for you, so I apologize for my comment.

• Like 2

Can't whaaat? Can't ride in the bottom of the power band???? That's craziness. Of you can't you should keep er garaged until you get the carb running right. I rode what we call "Mt baldy" today and my buddy took me on the craziest single track I've ever rode. Super low tractor bogging like a mo fo and runs great up top too. I'm very happy with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YZF1825 said:

Can't whaaat? Can't ride in the bottom of the power band???? That's craziness. Of you can't you should keep er garaged until you get the carb running right. I rode what we call "Mt baldy" today and my buddy took me on the craziest single track I've ever rode. Super low tractor bogging like a mo fo and runs great up top too. I'm very happy with it.

I didn't mean can't, I just meant that is not what it was made for!

Seems like it is pretty well suited for the woods. A way better machine all around compared to what I came off of, an 05 rmz450. That bike was cool but so damn heavy and a 4 speed for single track and extremely technical and challenging terrain just didn't mix.

5 hours ago, GlennRay said:

It won't hurt the bike to ride it in the lower end of the power band if the jetting is correct.  I was speaking about using a MX bike for trail riding, it's not what it was made to do.  I was out of line however, if the bike performs in a satisfactory way for you, so I apologize for my comment.

no apology needed , i do understand they were not intended to be ridden on trails as they were from the factory  ,but with a few simple changers they do it well

On 7/30/2017 at 10:50 AM, YZF1825 said:

20170729_174136.jpg.a0d79eccea50589ceca5563eb045ed54.jpg

This is after I wiped it down with a rag. Had a little more darkness to it but I think that looks pretty good right?

if you had to wipe it down it's still to rich

should come out dry 

and as mlatour above said plug inspections are only for the main jet

the rest is by feel and sound