New to superMoto - Few questions about drz400

My name is Steven and recently acquired a Drz400s, converted to SM. 
Other bike is a Bmw r1200r. 

Joined this forum to hopefully gain some knowledge on my SuperMoto bike and community. 

Purchased this bike from an estate sale and has many upgrades I believe, but still is not fast as I think it should be. There is no history on the bike besides what one of the family members was able to tell me from memory. 

In this configuration what do you all think the bike is worth? 2006 model

For 400 with a big bore kit and the below installed, honestly it does not seem that fast. Maybe sprocket/gearing? 

Here are the modifications that I can visually see:
Athena top end
dynatek f.s. digital ignition
Different carb ( family member said from a yzf 450) 
Excel rims 
Larger brake rotor
Many carbon fiber covers
corbin seat
seven eights handle bar
Motion Pro throttle
crg levers
vapor computer
fmf full exhaust
tokyo cam chain tensioner? 
Racing tech spring
moose linkage
Also, they told me something as of stroked or cams or something of the sort. No way to tell? 
The 3x3 mod has not been done and looks like stock airfilter as well.

IMG_20170729_105907262.jpg

IMG_20170729_105947314.jpg

IMG_20170728_191950272.jpg

IMG_20170728_235628362.jpg

IMG_20170729_110001090.jpg

IMG_20170729_110025616.jpg

Edited by drtyday

Just depends on your opinion of fast. Bike won't run like  a450 dirt bike.plus they are heavy .bike looks good though. 

That's a nice bike.

Even with all those mods, it's potential is probably just short of 50 hp(if it's a stroker), and alot less torque than your 1200.

I would find it very unlikely someone has done all that work and DIDN'T do the 3x3. Did you remove the seat and look? If it hasn't been done then the modifications are not reaching full power potential. Also, there isn't anything wrong the stock air filter, or any other foam type. Avoid K&N for this application.

The FMF exhaust system is stealing some hp from the top end. Big bore 434's or 462 big bore stroker's need the much larger diameter Yoshimura TRC or MRD Z Pro exhaust systems to make maximum power.

You can verify if it has aftermarket cams relatively quick and easily by removing the cam cover. With some ingenuity, you could measure the stroke.

Location is probably the biggest factor of what you could expect to sell it for. Dirt bikes, like cars, are a labor of love and terrible investments. You should reasonably expect to only get a fraction of aftermarket parts value added to the selling price.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

1 hour ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I would find it very unlikely someone has done all that work and DIDN'T do the 3x3. Did you remove the seat and look? If it hasn't been done then the modifications are not reaching full power potential. Also, there isn't anything wrong the stock air filter, or any other foam type. Avoid K&N for this application.

Ya, the 3x3 definitely has not been done. Do you think the upgraded carburetor will accept this without re jetting? 

Edited by drtyday

Ya, the 3x3 definitely has not been done. Do you think the upgraded carburetor will accept this without re jetting? 

The carb can be jetted to run cleanly but that's a huge restriction. Motors are air pumps, the more air they move the more power they make. Almost everything on your motor has been changed to move as much as possible except the airbox. The "S" airbox (along with a few other changes) was effective at reducing a stock "E" from 40 hp to around 32Hp. I believe you are right, the bike ISN'T as powerful as it should be.

It's a mechanical equivalent of an Olympic sprinter being forced to run breathing thru a bendy straw.

• Like 3

I have a dr650, motors stock except for a jet kit and this bike responded so good to open air box i couldn't even imagine what that drz will be like when its done properly street rosi much?

Well, I'm happy to report the 3x3 mod really opened it all up. It's a little runner now!

Since I go the bike, it has little trouble starting. Get a small backfire then it will stop trying to start. It always starts but doesn't sound the best. Maybe carbs need to be cleaned? Who knows how long it's been sitting. 

• Like 1

Well, I'm happy to report the 3x3 mod really opened it all up. It's a little runner now!

Since I go the bike, it has little trouble starting. Get a small backfire then it will stop trying to start. It always starts but doesn't sound the best. Maybe carbs need to be cleaned? Who knows how long it's been sitting. 

Don't touch the throttle when starting, just turn on the choke. You may want to take a day and pull the carb apart to clean it and see what you have for jets.

Don't use carb cleaner from the auto parts store, get some Yamalube carb dip. Let it soak and blow out the passages with compressed air. Also, pull the cam cover and to check valve clearance and see what you have for cams.

looks to me like whoever built that bike knew exactly what they were doing .. baffles me on the problems, anyway ... that master cylinder looks interesting any chance of getting a close-up shot?