New to dirtbikes. Few questions about my 95' cr125

So hopefully I'm posting this in the right way and in the right place.. Never used a forum before. 

Recently I picked up a 95' cr125 for a screaming deal. Only problem was the guy said it needed crank seals. Now I've got an 86' Toyota I'm always working on so turning wrenches isn't new to me, just the doing it on a dirtbike part. Anyways, I ordered what I believe are the right crank seals off Motosport (do both crank seals look the same? The two I got are different.) I don't have a ton of free time to work on it lately but I finally got the tranny side case off. Took what I believe is called the primary gear off (not too sure on the name of everything, part of my problem.) Well the crank seal on that side was partially out and I know it's supposed to sit flush so that explains why it smoked like a diesel. The (collar?) the seal rides on has markings on it but it feels smooth. My next question would be, if it doesn't feel rough but it has visible markings on it, would that cause that crank seal to slide out like that? I'm thinkin maybe a groove that's just too shallow to physically feel.. just wanna make sure I get everything right putting it back together. Don't wanna have to do this more than once haha. Last question would be, the little cover above the water pump you have to pull to take that arm off when you pull that side case cover, what's that called? Can post a picture with if it helps. Just hard to read a parts blow up without knowing names on anything. If anybody has part numbers for the gasket I need to put that side case back on, that collar, and the gasket for the little cover I don't know the name of, that would be awesome. Any help is appreciated. I know my post was long winded and I have a ton more questions, just figured I'd start here. Thanks for any info! 

I had a 95 when they were brand new.

The little cover above the water pump...you mean the power valve cover?

I may be going out on a limb but I suspect the reason the main seals leak is because the main bearings are also worn out.

It's a simple little motor. The best thing to do would be tear it completely down and rebuild. You'll save yourself aggravation down the road

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Getcha a repair manual. Paper ones pop up on Ebay and Amazon.... You can download PDF's for free if you know where to look, but I personally prefer a good old fashioned hard paperback manual. 

Go step by step by the manual, take pictures, make sure you have a good work space set up. 

BTW these old school steel framed cr125's are mean bikes. Real mean. It'll be worth it when you get her put together. That power band will flick on like a light switch and tear your arms off. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 8:18 AM, ohiodrz400sm said:

I had a 95 when they were brand new.

The little cover above the water pump...you mean the power valve cover?

I may be going out on a limb but I suspect the reason the main seals leak is because the main bearings are also worn out.

It's a simple little motor. The best thing to do would be tear it completely down and rebuild. You'll save yourself aggravation down the road

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

I can only dream of what it must have been like to own one of these bad boys the year they came out haha. I contemplated rebuilding it but I'm less than 500 into the whole thing right now. I'll probably Just get it running again and rebuild the whole thing when winter rolls around. 

On 7/31/2017 at 3:03 PM, MrMuffins said:

Getcha a repair manual. Paper ones pop up on Ebay and Amazon.... You can download PDF's for free if you know where to look, but I personally prefer a good old fashioned hard paperback manual. 

Go step by step by the manual, take pictures, make sure you have a good work space set up. 

BTW these old school steel framed cr125's are mean bikes. Real mean. It'll be worth it when you get her put together. That power band will flick on like a light switch and tear your arms off. 

Got a paper manual in the mail headed my way right now. I'm so excited to get on this thing! That's the only reason I bought It, was a buddy of mine telling me how much he liked the steel frames. 

Got the gaskets for everything figured out, just can't find the collar the crank seal slips over. See attached picture. Ordering all my parts on Motosport, but I can't find this on any of the part blow ups at all. Anybody know a part number for this lil fella? Last thing I need before I put it back together. 

20170801_182404.jpg

20170729_224706.jpg

Edited by RK509

• 2 weeks later...

Got everything figured out and ordered, just waiting on delivery then reassembly now. I do have one last question though.. So my 95' came with a late 80s early 90s tank and shrouds on it. Previous guy just Jimmy rigged it together. Have the actual 95 tank and I bought correct plastics for it. Does anybody know the size/dimensions on the bolt(s) that hold the tank down? Was gonna stop by the hardware store after work tomorrow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RK509 said:

Got everything figured out and ordered, just waiting on delivery then reassembly now. I do have one last question though.. So my 95' came with a late 80s early 90s tank and shrouds on it. Previous guy just Jimmy rigged it together. Have the actual 95 tank and I bought correct plastics for it. Does anybody know the size/dimensions on the bolt(s) that hold the tank down? Was gonna stop by the hardware store after work tomorrow. 

I think they are M6x40mm.  You can get bolt kits off of ebay for pretty cheap and they are metric flange bolts.  I actually bought all OEM bolts for my 94 when I restored it because I didn't like having all the hardware store bolts on it.  Makes it easier to work on when you have the same bolts all over the bike.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody off hand know what parts are interchangeable between a 91 cr125 and a 95? Mines a 95 but I found a complete parts bike for a steal.. I know plastics and whatnot won't fit, I was more curious about engine components and maybe suspension. Any info is appreciated as usual.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using ThumperTalk mobile app

2 hours ago, RK509 said:

Anybody off hand know what parts are interchangeable between a 91 cr125 and a 95? Mines a 95 but I found a complete parts bike for a steal.. I know plastics and whatnot won't fit, I was more curious about engine components and maybe suspension. Any info is appreciated as usual.

Not much is compatible as far as suspension and stuff.  If you want a compatible bike, look for anything 95-97.  Even the 94 has differences in the suspension linkage over the 93 and the 95.  The 95-97 has a larger front fork than the earlier years.  I would think the 91 would be pretty far off from the 95.

• Like 1

Not much is compatible as far as suspension and stuff.  If you want a compatible bike, look for anything 95-97.  Even the 94 has differences in the suspension linkage over the 93 and the 95.  The 95-97 has a larger front fork than the earlier years.  I would think the 91 would be pretty far off from the 95.

What about engine wise? I might pick it up regardless if I can get the guy to drop the price enough. I guess if nothing swaps over I'll just have another bike to tinker with.

1 hour ago, RK509 said:

What about engine wise? I might pick it up regardless if I can get the guy to drop the price enough. I guess if nothing swaps over I'll just have another bike to tinker with.

Some engine components will swap over.  The cylinders are compatible but you have to use the head on the 95 in order to use the piston from the 95.  I believe the crankshafts are compatible, probably the entire bottom end is compatible.  I don't know about electronics.  There might be some timing differences in the electronics but I am not sure about that.  The 90 and 91 125's used a domed piston instead of the flat topped piston so the head isn't compatible but the cylinders are.

• Like 1