2006 YZ250F Gold forks

Hi I have a YZ250F 2006 and I did not use a fork protector when I tied it down on my trailer and I have blown the fork seals. Silly boy! Lesson learned... Anyway my YZ does not have standard chrome fork stantions. It has GOLD COLOURED STANCHIONS (Titanium nitrate coating apparently) AND gold coloured fork bodies. I remember the seller saying they were 'Gold forks'? There does not seem to be any brand stamped on them. I was just wondering what brand they might be but most importantly will standard fork seals still fit? Cheers John

It was on a trailer at the time and when I got to the track there was fork fluid all over my trailer. I was told I needed to a fork protector to go between the wheel and the bottom brace to prevent the seals popping when travelling

Seller sold you a line of shit.The stock forks are gold in color.http://motocrossactionmag.com/2006-yamaha-yz250f-test/ Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Strange as all the YZ250F I have seen have chrome stanchions but mine are gold coloured AS WELL as the fork tops which I know are all gold in colour. IMG_8355.JPG.fba5f064b1bcba9816cb8da76612e96f.JPG Even the one in your link has chrome stanchions!

Mine are gold coloured not chrome!

Strange as all the YZ250F I have seen have chrome stanchions but mine are gold coloured AS WELL as the fork tops which I know are all gold in colour. IMG_8355.JPG.fba5f064b1bcba9816cb8da76612e96f.JPG 
Even the one in your link has chrome stanchions!

I see. If the lowers are gold in color that is titanium nitride coating. It decreases friction and makes the surface harder.

The actual seal can't pop out. It's trapped by the retaining clip. The seal you see from the outside is the dust wiper. It can pop out on occasion but has nothing to do with leaking oil.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

I see. If the lowers are gold in color that is titanium nitride coating. It decreases friction and makes the surface harder.

The actual seal can't pop out. It's trapped by the retaining clip. The seal you see from the outside is the dust wiper. It can pop out on occasion but has nothing to do with leaking oil.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Thanks for clarifying that so I assume standard oil seals will fit.

Were did all the fork oil come from on our trailer underneath the forks come from then and why do the oil seals weap oil all the time now?

I was told the forks had bottomed out on the trailer from being strapped down too far because I did not have a fork protector between the wheel and the mudguard when I strapped it down and this forced out the oil though the seals...

I don't really buy the whole fork protector thing...

I can case jumps all day long and bottom the fork out and no oil leaks out. The tiny compression that happens during trailering should be a walk in the park?

• Like 3

This is a red herring. All I wanted to know is will standard fork seals fit. I wish I had never asked now...

Yes the standard seals will fit, and somebody gave you a line of BS about your forks leaking because of how it was tied down. The seals harden and eventually leak, or their is dirt and debris caught in them allowing oil to weep out. It's pretty common, and some areas have dirt that is worse on seals. 

It's a common thing to get a bit of grit in the seal. You can remove the dust seal and use a piece of thin plastic like a tear away to clean out the grit. Even brand new seals can pick up grit and leak.

It's a common thing to get a bit of grit in the seal. You can remove the dust seal and use a piece of thin plastic like a tear away to clean out the grit. Even brand new seals can pick up grit and leak.

Thanks

Depends on how much you cranked the bike down too. Some people crank the forks until they bottom. That, under pressure for a long time - I could see being a problem.