weantright

XT suspension

54 posts in this topic

Completed the first part of the swap last night installing the Fox shock. Beautiful shock, hate to get it dirty. Forks are out at the tuners being lowered, sprung and revalved. Still waiting on the triple clamps to be sent to the dealer. If my measurements are correct I will have 1.5mm shorter offset giving me more trail resulting in little more stable overall. Theory that is, maybe not reality.

Why not wp 48 oc or even better Sachs OC forks? The OC forks on my KTM 200 share the XT top triple, bottom is bigger on the KTM. I realize kyb may be ideal, but isn't the 300rr forks lowered the easiest because of wheel spacers and brakes? I'd rather add just a spacer a sachs OC fork cartridge to lower it than buy all new axles etc.

3 hours ago, bikesandcars said:

Why not wp 48 oc or even better Sachs OC forks? The OC forks on my KTM 200 share the XT top triple, bottom is bigger on the KTM. I realize kyb may be ideal, but isn't the 300rr forks lowered the easiest because of wheel spacers and brakes? I'd rather add just a spacer a sachs OC fork cartridge to lower it than buy all new axles etc.

If I had WP 48 laying around I would have gone that route. Stock spacers I don't believe will work with the Sachs forks as Boano Racing would have used them. I am not a fan of the Sachs forks and would have been the last on my list to buy. Not that there are terrible fork just if I had to buy there are better ones out there. I picked up a very low hour KYB 48 for the simple fact they work in many different setups both bike and terrain wise. When it's time to sell the bike I can sell these forks and lose almost nothing. Just like the Fox shock as Fox isn't making dirt bike items anymore. XT axle will not work in any real off road fork. Too short, smaller diameter and threaded on one side. It's lucky to work in the stock configuration! I will be using the stock brakes with a caliber bracket. When done it will be much less then the Boano set-up and be trail friendly for average riders.

3 people like this

Fox shock worked beautifully. She said less bounce and cushy?? Buddy rode it and was quite fast compared to his bike. Didn't notice the rear end at all which is a good thing. Forks are in route as well as the triple clamp.

3 people like this

The install went really well thanks to GP, ProTune and Beta. Bike looks good and a quick ride around the house shows big improvement even with my extra weight for the set-up. This weekend will be the test and fine tuning. Need to locate a calibrator bracket to uses the OEM magnet for the gauge otherwise good to go.

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

1 person likes this

Glad it worked out.  Caliper carrier with hole for pickup might be tough for that application.  I don't run a computer but I know guys have just made small extra brackets to hold the pickup that use one of the carrier bolts.  If you ride any rocks at all  I suggest some protection for the fork lugs as they are thin wall past the adjuster.  EE makes some for YZs I have on my bike, brake side with a rotor guard.  Also check your brake hose alignment.  I found the YZ fork guards and hose mount pulled the hose too far in and it did not line up well with the upper guide with forks compressed.  I extended the hose clamp to correct this.

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, GP said:

Glad it worked out.  Caliper carrier with hole for pickup might be tough for that application.  I don't run a computer but I know guys have just made small extra brackets to hold the pickup that use one of the carrier bolts.  If you ride any rocks at all  I suggest some protection for the fork lugs as they are thin wall past the adjuster.  EE makes some for YZs I have on my bike, brake side with a rotor guard.  Also check your brake hose alignment.  I found the YZ fork guards and hose mount pulled the hose too far in and it did not line up well with the upper guide with forks compressed.  I extended the hose clamp to correct this.

Yep, hard to find a bracket that will keep the pick-up sensor. Right now the pick-up is taped out of the way. I was looking at the bottom clamps. Not much protecting the adjusters and now maybe the complete clamp. Will look into some guards, if anything more "pretty" stuff as she commented. I bought hose guard and have it flipped which lines up really close. Thanks again.

19 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

What was the donar bike?

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

I came across a very clean (almost new) 2015 YZ250F forks. If you're not picky you can find some of these very reasonable but I was picky. Used the Yamaha axle and custom wheel spacers from GP with ID change to fit larger 22mm axle. Use the stock wheel and calibrator with a different bracket. Beta helped out with a new clamp from Tanke's race bike and the other misc items were found online. Cory at ProTune sprung, valved, shorten and shipped for less then most shops charge for just a fluid change and seals. This is his second XT swap and it feels really good.  Even with my weight the bike went straight thru my matrix easily which was a struggle with the stockers. Total cost ready to ride was more then the two cartridge upgrade but much less then the Boano kit.

1.25 lbs in total was the added weight between all the parts.

Edited by weantright
2 people like this

Weantright,

I'm looking at doing a similar swap with a set of KYB's from a 2007 YZ250F.  I know the axle would be a different diameter, but are there any other differences between your 2015 fork swap and what I'm proposing?  Also- where did you get you triple clamps?  Was getting those a lucky break or could more be bought for lower than the $600 I'm seeing online?

1 hour ago, aaronc70 said:

Weantright,

I'm looking at doing a similar swap with a set of KYB's from a 2007 YZ250F.  I know the axle would be a different diameter, but are there any other differences between your 2015 fork swap and what I'm proposing?  Also- where did you get you triple clamps?  Was getting those a lucky break or could more be bought for lower than the $600 I'm seeing online?

Differences in forks are mostly with offset, length and axle diameters as posted. Both offset and length can be dealt with by fork height in clamps making the bike "feel" different from change in trail. This is just an end fix IF you don't get your numbers correct. While the 2006-2007 KYB's are cheap, there seems to be some internals quality items address in newer years,,, this is what I was told by shops. Three items needed for install (not counting forks), clamps, spacers and calibrator bracket. Spacers are easy especially if you have a lathe handy or online several shops sell them. Depending on forks you may need to enlarge spacer ID for 22mm KYB axle. I believe the axle on the 2007 is 20mm and a 32mm offset (not 100% sure). Caliber bracket came from Braking and was POW106, verify this to your fork year. If you use the Boano clamp (21.5mm) then your total offset is 53.5mm vs. stock at 55mm. Haven't verified but a RR clamp (20mm offset) with an XT's stem pressed in would get your offset of 52mm (concerning) using 2007 forks. Question in using the RR clamp is if there's enough meat on the XT stem to fit the hole in clamp. I have heard that this works via the internet and the internet is never wrong. My clamp came from a spare kit used on Tanke's race XT, just the clamp as I had no use for the other items and they were using the forks. So yes it's was a lucky break and I will not divulge the price but will say it wasn't $600 as seen online. When talking to Beta they never once pushed me toward Sachs, cartridge (s) or told me I was crazy. In a way they were excited to help get the KYB's on the bike. RR's stock clamps are less then $600 which is what I would have gone to as a back-up. There is a RR billet clamp in the classified section. The asking price is high and I don't think it will sell for two reasons. One it's black so no bling and two no real need to update the RR's clamp.

Lastly these forks need to be shorten otherwise the balance will be off. My forks were 5/8" longer then the stocker so I had clearance issues. To fix this I added a small 10mm riser to the bar. In addition the Boano clamp bar mount holes are 1/2 hole off toward the front. I had to flip the mount backwards keeping the bars in the stock position.

Hope this helps.

2 people like this

Weanright,

yes, it certainly does, thanks for taking the time to post all your knowledge on the subject.  Sounds like I may be better off holding out for a good price on a newer set of SSS suspension, from maybe a 2008 or newer bike.  I did expect lower the forks internally (Spring and spacers I suppose) would be part of the equation.  I'm interpreting what your saying as that I could just get some forks and clamps, get the top-of-fork/clamp clearance and offset close, and then make smaller adjustments to trail by moving the forks up or down in the clamp.  I do have a shop that can turn down simple items like spacers and axles, so that helps.  I'll take another look at the clamps in the classified section, I did see those the other day.  Thanks again for explaining some of the puzzle to me.

By moving the forks up or down in the clamps does not adjust the trail. Trail is set by the two offsets, clamp and forks. However adjusting the fork height changes the feel or effect of the trail. Example if you reduce your trail in half your bike will be twitchy, would most likely need a steering dampener and headshake at higher speeds. Lowering the fork height will slow the steering, the front will push in turns and headshake would still happen at higher speeds. In the case of the XT's setup with the KYB's you will not be going to that type of extreme. My spacers design came from forum member GP. It's his design so he will need to share it with you.

1 person likes this

OH, OK, thanks for further clarifying.  I've seen some other designs on the spacers and I have a few extra around here.  Think I'll just have to decide on a set of triple clamps, then forks, and then worry about the spacers and axle.