Cr125 for older guy

Looking to make a 95 cr 125 a little more novice friendly. My rear sag is at 4.5" which is 1/2" to much and I have not touched the front forks. It's not as confidence inspiring going into a turn as the crf 450 and yz 426 were and I'd like to get the suspension on the 125 better. Some suggest swaps to crf parts and for $500 I can get forks and a wheel, but is that just introducing more variables? One guys unacceptable front end is another guys perfect one. Also it's a 125 so I really miss the electric motor smooth 426/450 engines. The 125 is ok getting used to the track but as I go faster the point at which power comes on gets to be a significant issue. I'm not a pin the throttle guy yet. Part of this is throttle control (or most of it is) but I'd still like to tame the transition to "rip".  I'm sure it's been posted here somewhere but I'm not interested in a resto or making a snarling race bike.  thanks

the back story....

I'm not an off road guy but decided it's the only way to have fun on a motorcycle without police intervention (most of the time). I started with a yz426 and I was amazed at how getting huge air for me (12") felt like I never left the ground compared to a xr250 also bought that let me know it. So, modern mx bikes are the way to go and displacement makes hauling around a fat guy easy - getting used to not using the front brake as hard is still a challenge. I ended up with a crf450 in trade and put a rekluse on it and really liked it until a drowned and did some significant engine damage. A guy traded me a running 95 cr125 for the broken 450. I also had picked up a 98 ktm300exe and when I tried them out at our small track/trail place, the 125 felt so much more fun - light weight is a big deal for me.

To get around "improving" the 125 I did try a 2000 cr250 that was set up to race. It had better "put around" power, but the power on switch hit really really hard - not ready to wheelie through woods yet. I would guess the 250 suspension was much better, but I'd be undoing plenty of what hrc had done to the motor. 

20170730_090009.jpg

20170730_090016.jpg

• Like 2

Nice bike. I had 1 when they 1st came out.

It's a 20 year old bike. Rather than buy someone else's worn out crap have the KYB suspension it came with rebuild and set up for you. Your sag setting is also completely screwing up the cornering ability.

There isn't much you can do about the off/on rocket ship power delivery. It's how they are . You can lower the gearing a little and ride it more until you get used to it maybe. Anything major wouldn't be worth doing. A flywheel weight will mellow the hit but also make it harder for the motor to get on the pipe.

I know the FMF exhaust and Boyssen rad valved I had helped widen the spread somewhat.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

I'm completely new to riding 2 strokes and I had similar feelings about riding in the woods on my 125.  I would say the best "performance" improvement for me was just seat time. 

I changed the jet needle from the stock single taper to a Suzuki triple taper needle and spent a lot of time getting the jetting dialed in.  It transitions on and off the pipe much smoother now.  I feel like the power is more predictable than the previous jetting setup.  I also dropped a tooth on my front sprocket to 12 from 13.  Getting the suspension set up correctly is my next step towards better performance.

• Like 1