2001 Drz400s w/ SuperMoto Wheels Conversion

Did you do a search on this? It's been gone over many, many times. Basically, the wheels themselves bolt right up but you need to address the brakes because, stock, the S and SM use different size rotors. Most people pick one size and put them on both wheel sets, although it is possible to swap them from wheel to wheel as needed. There are options with the gearing, also. Do a search and do sme reading and once you're educated on the subject you can decide how you'd like to accomplish the swap.

• Like 1

if theyre 'drz' wheels they'll fit, theres brake, gearing, and other issues to think about ... i went with a chinese fleabay ready to run set with brakes/adapter/spacers .. you will need to buy gears and probably a chain, tires, bar risers if you dont have them, and to do it right a front fender and SM speedo gear .. not cheap any way you slice it but definitely worth it if you ride street alot, its like getting a new bike ..

CIMG0999_zpsmgsgmzfl.jpg

I recently did it to mine for summer time , already had the conversion for the big front brake so just bought the SM speedo drive and 3 tooth smaller rear JT sprocket along with 2 discs so I don't need to constantly swap . The 3 tooth smaller came out pretty close to the difference in rear tire size (130-18 ) so gearing stayed pretty good , just a little higher so rpms came down for a given speed. 1 tooth bigger front would be about the same. My DID chain and JT sprocket set was new not many miles ago , I wouldn't put a new sprocket on if the chain was well worn and showing signs of being bad , it would simply destroy the new sprocket it a hurry , if that was the case I would buy a whole new chain and sprocket set for the SM rims and keep the old set for when I put the dirt tires back on.

My WR fender looks too big now so may have to go with a smaller one , but it's so nice not getting sprayed in the face everytime the road is wet .

DSCN1592.JPG

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1