Ultimatum - Have to sell my 2017 DRZ-400SM

So unfortunately, my significant other did not take it well when I came home with a new 2017 DRZ-400SM last month.  I must now sell it, and that's a huge bummer.  What is the best way to sell such a new bike?  It has less than 200 miles on it.  I installed the TST Industries integrated tail light/fender eliminator and flush mounts up front, with flasher relay and license plate light.  Also just put the case savers on it.  What's a fair price to ask for it?  And what method of payment is best/safest to accept when selling a vehicle to avoid getting screwed via bounced check or something?

Bike is in Houston, TX, if that helps.  I'm super sad about this...  I guess I would throw in my helmet and alpine stars jacket and gloves with it since I won't need those anymore...

Any advice is much appreciated.  (i have any and all stock parts that have been removed from the bike).

conway

Don't you know that it's illegal to sell people this day and age? And why do I need riding gear with a person up for sale? Weird post doesn't seem bike related to me at all.

Sent from my Pixel using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 6

The shop I work at does a lot of consignment sales. I would look into that in your area. One benefit (aside from weeding out CL knucklheads) is that they can offer financing. You have a better chance IMO of getting top dollar from someone who is signing a dotted line vs. haggling with cash. They also most likely have insurance to cover test rides and such. Either way, be prepared to take a significant hit. Even a pristine used bike is worth less than new. The second it goes out the door, the price drops. The price can depend on you location and the availability of new models. For example: In my location, many of the shops are out of 2017 S and SM models, so a used one would go for a bit more until the new models are shipped. 

Keep the bike, trade in the significant other.

Did you buy it out right or finance it? You pretty much just through $2000.00 in the trash can if you sell it now.

Best payment is cash or certified check all done at the bank.
If you list that online scammers will be all over you, so beware.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Keep the bike, trade in the significant other.

Did you buy it out right or finance it? You pretty much just through $2000.00 in the trash can if you sell it now.

Best payment is cash or certified check all done at the bank.
If you list that online scammers will be all over you, so beware.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Man, that is what I thought.  i bought the bike out right, title actually just came in the mail.  =/

I agree with Ohio: I'd go right to the bank with any prospective buyers. Fake bank checks are common and look very convincing. Generally, it tales 2 years or so for the value of a new bike to balance out. (if that makes sense)

2 minutes ago, Dwrizzol said:

Post it for a really high price and then be bewildered when you "can't sell it" 

You can always come down, but you can never go up. I's start it high and see what happens. Like I said before, it can really make a difference how many new models are available. 

edit: Sorry, misread your meaning with that one. ;)

Edited by Bandit0

So unfortunately, my significant other did not take it well when I came home with a new 2017 DRZ-400SM last month.  I must now sell it, and that's a huge bummer.  What is the best way to sell such a new bike?  It has less than 200 miles on it.  I installed the TST Industries integrated tail light/fender eliminator and flush mounts up front, with flasher relay and license plate light.  Also just put the case savers on it.  What's a fair price to ask for it?  And what method of payment is best/safest to accept when selling a vehicle to avoid getting screwed via bounced check or something?
Bike is in Houston, TX, if that helps.  I'm super sad about this...  I guess I would throw in my helmet and alpine stars jacket and gloves with it since I won't need those anymore...
Any advice is much appreciated.  (i have any and all stock parts that have been removed from the bike).

conway

If you give in on this you'll resent your SO forever, also you'll need to surrender your man card. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 12

What is her issue? The 2grand hit you'll take can go towards a generous life insurance policy, that may please her... we are talking about a girl, right?

• Like 1

Unless money is tight, you are married, no way I'd sell the bike unless I wanted to. I would of however, discussed it with my wife first. If not married, then your 'partner' has no business telling you what you can and cannot do. Not a 'man' thing, it is human thing.

Sadly, you are selling a used bike, pristine as it may be. Depending on luck and current availability of SM's where you are., it is valued from $4,500 to $6K

• Like 6