Opinion needed rear shock 250L

OK finally blew the stock shock on the 250L, my daily PT laps on the track and chasing Lilly finally did it in.  Don't really feel 'race tech' is cost effective anymore on a bike this old, so looking at 2 options.  Ohlins STX 46 Adventure Shock for $650 set up for my fat body, or Hagon for $405 also set up for my fat body.  And yes going to do race tech on front fork as no other option.

Still pretty hard on it as it is the last 'dirt bike', I no longer race after the surguries, so just my PT laps and chasing Lilly as we train.  May have momma convinced a CRF230 is the way to go before I destroy the L, but other than a few minor part failures and now the rear shock the L has soldiered on quite well.  And ask Gnath9 I am pretty hard on it, 8 throphies on the wall for endurance races as well as Dual Sport MX class.  THought of stripping it to pure racing mode, but still a fun putter bike to the store and back.

Oh and I do get to 'race' once a year with the vintage guys in the dual purpose (street legal) class for fun, not a true race, but out with the buds.  Momma rule #1, I am LAST, that means if someone falls down, I wait, but you get what you can get I guess.

Edited by oldsoldier173
  • Like 1

I believe an ohlins will be more than $250 better than the hagon.

And it will hold its value, so you could resell it and fit a cheap second hand stock shock if you need to recoup some money or sell your bike.

My 2 cents

As far as quality, I would say Racetech and Ohlins are practically equals, Hagon, YSS and Hyperpro are a step down, being an emulsion shock, but still a big upgrade from the garbage stock shock.  Once you factor in shipping, there isn't a ton of cost difference between buying a less expensive shock overseas, I figured the little bit more for a Racetech and the better service and support of a US based company was worth it, bought mine from CRFS only, and came out a little cheaper than from RT direct with TT discount.  When I bought mine, there wasn't a US source for the Ohlins, now there is, and for a little less than Racetech shipped, you can get that shock with remote reservoir and more adjustments, really can't go wrong with either.  The more you weigh, or the harder you ride, the more you get out of good suspension, but even at a relaxed pace a good upgrade won't beat you up as much, and is more consistent throughout the ride.  As far as if it is "worth it", it's tough to spend nearly $1 grand on a bike that costs 5 grand new, but it is such a dramatic upgrade that you will get more out of the bike, it allows you to be a better rider, gain confidence, and can be parted out and sold off down the road, so it's worth it.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 0:07 AM, oldsoldier173 said:

OK finally blew the stock shock on the 250L, my daily PT laps on the track and chasing Lilly finally did it in.  Don't really feel 'race tech' is cost effective anymore on a bike this old, so looking at 2 options.  Ohlins STX 46 Adventure Shock for $650 set up for my fat body, or Hagon for $405 also set up for my fat body.  And yes going to do race tech on front fork as no other option.

Still pretty hard on it as it is the last 'dirt bike', I no longer race after the surguries, so just my PT laps and chasing Lilly as we train.  May have momma convinced a CRF230 is the way to go before I destroy the L, but other than a few minor part failures and now the rear shock the L has soldiered on quite well.  And ask Gnath9 I am pretty hard on it, 8 throphies on the wall for endurance races as well as Dual Sport MX class.  THought of stripping it to pure racing mode, but still a fun putter bike to the store and back.

Oh and I do get to 'race' once a year with the vintage guys in the dual purpose (street legal) class for fun, not a true race, but out with the buds.  Momma rule #1, I am LAST, that means if someone falls down, I wait, but you get what you can get I guess.

ypu can always look on ebay for some nice fork tubes to replace the ridiculous 9" SFF forks, easy to modify and fit, as long as u like to still race a bit. 9" of travel is so 80's!

Still ride it more like a early 70's XL250 than  a modern MX bike, reason I run 'vintage' as tracks are more of that era than modern supercross style.  The track in the back has the 4 table top 'kid' friendly jumps so landing is not the issue.  What I think finally broke it was the sweep turns that I bounce the rear tire off the corner berms to 'V' turn rather than actually sweep the turn on the berm.  I only need a little more on the front, as the only issue I get is the loose soil front tire 'slide' as I try and get it to bite into the corners.

I have slowed down considerably, just want a little more control and limit the 'bunny hop' I get due to my old school riding style.

You could try the XR600R rear shock and use a lowing link for a CRF230F .... supposedly this works if you're handy ... :thumbsup:  looks like about $99 to $199 on ebay ... heck maybe you got a buddy somewhere with one laying around ... :excuseme:

$_58.JPG

https://www.ebay.com/i/362023069849?chn=ps&dispItem=1

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Honda-XR-600R-Rear-Suspension-Shock-Absorber-OEM-85/272529060214

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 1

I am just afraid I am going to break a coob job adaptation.  Looked at various combinations from other bikes, pretty handy with improvisation, but need to find the one longterm fix, as funding is the need.  And with hands still not working right wrench turning is getting harder.  I am even sending front forks out to get the RaceTech treatment.  And Lilly is getting pretty good at wrench turning so putting in the rear should be easy, the Ohlins rear seems to be the way to go and save up for total front and rear treatment.  This per 'da momma' is the LAST dirt bike as she found out I was looking at a new underpriced WR250R.

Friend sent me his old stock L shock and spring as he went race tech awhile ago, so it's on and we are up and running... slowly, with no bumpin berms or jumpin.  Have to have rear and front done by September as that is the last Dual Sport 'race' for the year.

• Like 1