Radiator Guards/Braces BPD vs Unabiker vs EE

So I recently purchased a 2017 Beta X-Trainer. I freaking love this bike! This is only my second motorcycle and my second year riding and coming from a CRF 230 there is a world of difference! I've put a little over 150 miles on it so far and am wanting to get some radiator guards/ braces. I've been looking at a few different ones. The Bullet Proof designs model, Unabiker, and Enduro Engineering.

What I'm most concerned about is side impact from me dropping the bike. (Which I do a lot as a new rider). They all look like they offer pretty good protection but the EE ones I'm not sure if you can use guards with the braces? In their photos I see them using the stock plastic ones. The BPD I've heard are good but overpriced in some people's eyes and I've heard they don't offer as good of side protection as the Unabiker units do? 

For those that have any of these. How is the installation? I've read with the Unabiker's you have to relocate your horn? I'm not horrible with disassembly and maintenance so I'm not terrified of tackling the install of these but the least invasive the better I think. Let me know what you all think and thanks for the help!

IMG_1470.JPG

• Like 1

Was talked into the BPD guards when I purchced my first Beta .  So impressed I outfirtted my second ,and will continue to use BPD on whatever bike is in my future . They have come out great after countless crashes , the design gives the same strength as others guards and braces. When you add the others 2 components cotst the BPD guards are reasonable 

Edited by Andrew Graham

Not a cross-trainer but I have a 300rr and installed Unabiker guards. They are very sturdy and I like that they connect at the rear of the guard to the guard on the other side, seems like it would really help on side fall. Instructions were okay and the install was not that difficult but could be challenging when starting the cross braces, I didn't have to mess with the horn as mine died after a couple of months anyway.

• Like 1

Bulletproof Designs are the best in my opinion. They offer great side protection and front protection. I had a tree hit the front of my radiator and was still able to ride the bike out without it leaking because of the guards. I had the EE on my previous bike and they didn't do anything to protect from side impact, the brace just bent in and hit my radiator and made it leak.  They may be expensive, but they have a lifetime warranty and offer great protection.

• Like 1

I have the Unabiker...and they seem solid. 118 hrs...couple of tough tumbles and no issues on my 350RR. I too like the tie brace that hooks the two together.

I kept my horn in the original spot by cutting a slot in the Unabikers so the horn bracket fit through it.

I think they hurt airflow but I added the fan and different fan switch and bike runs cool...although it never once has puked coolant and I ride single track in Texas.

Have a set of long, ball ended allen sockets to make the install easier. 

• Like 1

I like my BPD I have on my 300rr and 350rr . I might try unabiker for bigger radiators next when I put bigger radiators on my 300rr later. It's half the price of BPD.  Not as nice but looks good and strong. Both brands seem great. The P-tech rad guards look good too.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

BPD, on their website says "Non-USA sales only" what gives?

Never mind, just read you have to order through Beta.

Edited by FUHL

I've seen the EE ones bend. I've run BPD on our last 3 bikes and they've been just what they say... Bullet Proof.

2 hours ago, FUHL said:

BPD, on their website says "Non-USA sales only" what gives?

Never mind, just read you have to order through Beta.

FYI, there are a few other sites that sell Beta parts other than Beta. Think I bought my BPD guards from AOMC.mx

http://www.ktm-parts.com/  (also known as AOMC.mx) (Use discount code "Betariders" for 10% off)

http://www.motosupply.com/ (known as Sierra Motorcycle Supply)

and Rocky Mountain ATV will have some limited items

Edited by SinR1
  • Like 1

Unabiker have by far the best protection of any guard made period. By FAR the most popular guard at the races. Rarely ever see anything else on any bikes ever in the 3 series I run. 

Unabiker also supports and sponsors series and frequently will be at races so people who bought the lower quality stuff can upgrade. No air flow issues at all and they are compatible with the Mylar upgrade package on the stock BETA rads.