Amsoil Transmission Fluid

Couriousity killed the cat, not you! Any popular brand is good for a reason! Stuff does happen once in awhile but I would be confident running any.

Lol! I had been running Rotella-T. I have a Rekluse in it. Am thinking 80wt might work better in this Texas heat. I've only used it for a couple of rides but haven't really noticed any difference good or bad so far.

I just tried it and didn't notice anything special when running it except that after 4 or 5 rides it came out really dirty. Could have been the hot weather though. Didn't seem any better than Yamalube 10/40 which usually comes out much cleaner and seems to work as well or better by lasting longer and offering consistent clutch and tranny feel even after a few rides. My current favourite is Maxima MTL 80. It allows my bike to shift really smoothly with fewer missed shifts from second to first gear.  Hitting neutral is a common issue with the yz250x, it seems. The clutch action is really smooth too with MTL.

I love Amsoil Interceptor, but was not overly impressed with their 2 stroke tranny specific synthetic 80w oil. It seemed to break down quickly and came out really dirty after about 10 hours of use. Who knows, maybe that is just my experience. However, I was not hard on the clutch at all during those rides. Not a huge fan of Rotella either for the same reason. Like I said, I had better luck with Yamalube 10/40 motor oil, but prefer MTL 80w especially for the buttery smooth shifting and the price is reasonable. 

Edited by mcgradybrandt
  • Like 1

Ten hours easy without issue. I change it mostly for peace of mind. I prefer to see it come out relatively clean rather than see it really dirty.

You can probably buy it by the gallon and I suspect it will be a bit cheaper than the Amsoil. Yamaha does recommend it for their strokes, not that that is any real surprise, but it may give you peace of mind. I found it worked just fine for a two stroke tranny.

Rotella does come out pretty dark for sure. I starting using it because at the time it was recommended by Rekluse. Now since Rotella dropped that particular blend (T4 I think but can't remember off the top of my head) they list several different oils.