Gearing question?

So I wanted to get a new rear hybrid type sprocket in red. I have 41T now and like the gearing on the street. The smallest hybrid type red sprocket I can find is 44T. I believe I have 15T front sprocket now. So if I get the 44T rear and go to a 14T front that should be same gearing, correct? Also just put brand new DID chain on, will it still fit with the sprocket change? Thx, Ken

2 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I don't know. It might work if your end the rear end of adjustment. Did you save the links you cut out?

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

I did save the links. I'm 4 line from end of adjustment. 

Edited by Ondastreet

I run 14/47 on my 17 am with no issue.

15/44 would only be a couple hundred revs off 15/41 and a little more torque

6 hours ago, Ondastreet said:

Also if I just added 44T rear sprocket what would change, more torque, less top end? How much cruising speed would I lose?

Depends on what you ride for street. If you only do 55-65mph and no long stretches of freeway you should be fine. It will still have the same top end, just rev a little higher doing it.

14 hours ago, rickhorror said:

I run 14/47 on my 17 am with no issue.

15/44 would only be a couple hundred revs off 15/41 and a little more torque

12 hours ago, drz400s_guy said:

Depends on what you ride for street. If you only do 55-65mph and no long stretches of freeway you should be fine. It will still have the same top end, just rev a little higher doing it.

I try to stay off freeways, typically all back roads cruising 65 comfortably. 😎

ive found 'typically' that 1 tooth in front or 3 in the rear causes about a 5mph difference in keeping the same rpm youre accustomed to for cruising ..also ive found that 'for me' larger sprockets work better for everything, chain life, guide life, less vibration, ect .. but .. what i would do is get a jt sprocket and puff that bad dog red, forget about the fancy dogknot sprocket and live happily ever after ..

I try to stay off freeways, typically all back roads cruising 65 comfortably.

Yeah me too so I have really liked 14/47 but she screams hahah I just kinda hang around 55

• Like 1

Well I went for it. Left the 15T in front n put the 44T in rear. Chain just fit. Took it for quick blast (before rain) it went well. I can barely tell a difference. Can cruise 75 if I wanted, RPMs not too bad . Put my new brake pads n disk on while I had it apart. I did notice my 160 tire gets caught pretty tight in the swing arm,tight enough I didn't pull it all the way off, thought it would damage the tire. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Ondastreet
  • Like 3

On July 31, 2017 at 9:54 PM, cowpie said:

ive found 'typically' that 1 tooth in front or 3 in the rear causes about a 5mph difference in keeping the same rpm youre accustomed to for cruising ..also ive found that 'for me' larger sprockets work better for everything, chain life, guide life, less vibration, ect .. but .. what i would do is get a jt sprocket and puff that bad dog red, forget about the fancy dogknot sprocket and live happily ever after ..

I think you're right, I find myself going 60 rather than 65 now. I can cruise 65 no problem but my ear is trained at that RPM apparently. I'll just have to retrain my ear😳

Edited by Ondastreet