Magnetic drain plug warning

If you are using a cheap aluminium magnetic drain plug, I suggest you throw it away at your next oil change. 

Doing an oil change yesterday on my 2016 WR250F, I put the drain plug back in, started tightening it up and it sheared off well before torquing it up.  Because it had been drilled hollow to take the magnet, the walls were very thin.  Tried to get the broken piece out but an easy-out wouldn't bite, went to a reverse drill bit which always works - except that when I started drilling the magnetic tip pushed through into the sump, followed by half the drill bit which broke off.  Now I am faced with pulling the motor and splitting the cases.  I have used magnetic drain plugs in the past without issues.  I suspect the problem is cheap alloy and the small size of the drain plug on these engines.  The stock plug will be going back in when I am finished.

• Like 1

I just put a small rare earth magnet on the end of the stock bolt. I've done this on all my bikes for years.

1 hour ago, Goatse said:

I just put a small rare earth magnet on the end of the stock bolt. I've done this on all my bikes for years.

How much material are you getting on the magnet?   My 2 FX's have had far less metal shavings in the oil (almost none) compared to my previous bikes, especially the KTM.

How much material are you getting on the magnet?   My 2 FX's have had far less metal shavings in the oil (almost none) compared to my previous bikes, especially the KTM.

It's actually pretty crazy. In 155 hours I've had one single metal sliver. I've never seen a bike have so little.

Mine was a GYTR plug from Rockymountain.  Never had any shavings unlike previous bikes.