XT350 Rear Shock oil?

I'm having an issue with my rear shock on my XT350. I noticed some grease on it in the past. I recently went away for a week and when I sat on it it felt like it had landed on the kickstand. Normal. So I put the stand up and say down and the bike sank as normal but then bottomed out still. Bouncing it proves the same result.

I have not touched any adjustment. I looked at the shock and saw it appears to be covered in oil. I assumed this meant there was an oil leak and I needed to refill it and eventually replace it. But looking through my flyer manual and searching shows no mention of oil for the rear shock.

Has anyone had this issue? There is oil in the rear shock, isn't there? If So, how can I refill it? What needs to be used?

Contact a suspension shop like Race Tech or Factory Connection,

not familiar with your XT but shocks are commonly oil filled and have a pressurized nitrogen bladder.

Over time, the bladder can loose it's pressure so dampening quality suffers,

by the time you're seeing oil on the outside, shaft seals and bushings are way overdue for replacement.

(hopefully the shaft's surface isn't damaged)

Being a pressurized assy and some specialty tools required,

most factory service manuals do not show details on how to service the shock, only forks.

Pretty sure that on some recreational non-race bikes (say a CRF230F)

the shock isn't even meant to be serviceable but rather altogether replaced when defective.   

As for replacement parts, again Yamaha will show the complete assembly and not offer individual parts,

it's likely a KYB shock so if parts aren't discontinued your best bet would be to reach Technical Touch USA.  (KYB distributor)

Edited by mlatour

3 hours ago, mlatour said:

not familiar with your XT but shocks are commonly oil filled and have a pressurized nitrogen bladder.

by the time you're seeing oil on the outside, shaft seals and bushings are way overdue for replacement.

most factory service manuals do not show details on how to service the shock, only forks.

the shock isn't even meant to be serviceable but rather altogether replaced when defective.   

As for replacement parts, again Yamaha will show the complete assembly and not offer individual parts,

it's likely a KYB shock so if parts aren't discontinued your best bet would be to reach Technical Touch USA.  (KYB distributor)

Thanks for the reply. It is a monocross shock. Is that the same company? I assume buying used shocks would be the same issue

17 minutes ago, Thatslyb said:

Thanks for the reply. It is a monocross shock. Is that the same company? I assume buying used shocks would be the same issue

Monocross is what Yamaha called their single shock rear suspension for a long time.  KYB is the manufacturer of the suspension, shock and forks for you XT.  Whether they will sell you parts is another story.

Yes most likely a used shock would still require a full rebuild.

Any suspension shop that would service the shock would most likely get their parts from Technical Touch USA (KYB parts distributor)

I've ordered from them a few times, to my knownledge they don't service / repair suspension assemblies, they just sell the parts.

Edited by mlatour

5 hours ago, GlennRay said:

Monocross is what Yamaha called their single shock rear suspension for a long time.  KYB is the manufacturer of the suspension, shock and forks for you XT.  Whether they will sell you parts is another story.

I don't think I have the equipment required anyway

5 hours ago, mlatour said:

Yes most likely a used shock would still require a full rebuild.

Any suspension shop that would service the shock would most likely get their parts from Technical Touch USA (KYB parts distributor)

I've ordered from them a few times, to my knownledge they don't service / repair suspension assemblies, they just sell the parts.

Thank you for the help. I guess I'll see if the manufacturer sells them still and compare that to the price of having it rebuilt, otherwise I'll look into getting it rebuilt outright

if the oil came out, that would wreck the damping but wouldn't cause it to bottom out as the spring rate remains the same. lack of damping may cause it to be easier to bounce to and bottom out, but if its sitting low anyway, that is not a damping issue

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/1/2017 at 6:30 PM, mlatour said:

Sorry for late reply I was just rereading. I have two questions. Number 1 is do you know if they still make the shock New? Number 2 is who do I contact to get new parts from the dealer? Will any Yamaha dealer have access to these older parts or is there certain distributors?

Not sure which year XT350 you have but going with a 2000 model year and the shock assembly 3YT-22210-21-33,

a quick online shows it to be discontinued / obsolete. (was once listed at about 630$)

Obsolete parts is unfortunately a reality for many 10+ year old bikes.

Answering your own question, you should contact a Yamaha dealer to see if ever any 'new/leftovers' can be tracked down.

Again as mentioned in my previous message, if the shock is indeed a Kayaba (KYB) brand,

Technical Touch USA is the distributor for replacement parts (again pending they are still available)

Yamaha (any make) will usually not sell individual internal components, only the complete assy.

Contacting a suspension shop (Race Tech, Factory Connection etc.) with your questions will

answer if that model is even serviceable to begin and if so, possible options to fix.

These XT shock are considered non rebuildable , meaning not really designed to be taken apart , just tossed and replaced . Some good suspension shops may be able to rebuild it , but as with the case of one of my XT600 shocks the cost quote I got was more than a replacement from YSS or Wilbers . Other bikes there is often the possibility of getting a shock from one or 2 different brand of bike and retrofiiting with maybe a spring rate change, so there is more options , but again Yamaha made there's so odd balled that not much of an option to do that either .

I use Cogent Dynamics when sending a shock for rebuild .

Here is a new YSS shock , I have heard good reviews on their XT600 vesion so I would think it would be similar on the 350 . Not the worst price either for a new shock , http://www.ebay.com/itm/YSS-TOPLINE-Z-Series-Z506-mono-rear-shock-Yamaha-XT-350-1985-1998-/272743797996?hash=item3f80cc14ec:g:1HoAAOSw0j9ZV4X9&vxp=mtr

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jjktmrider said:

These XT shock are considered non rebuildable , meaning not really designed to be taken apart , just tossed and replaced . Some good suspension shops may be able to rebuild it , but as with the case of one of my XT600 shocks the cost quote I got was more than a replacement from YSS or Wilbers . Other bikes there is often the possibility of getting a shock from one or 2 different brand of bike and retrofiiting with maybe a spring rate change, so there is more options , but again Yamaha made there's so odd balled that not much of an option to do that either .

I use Cogent Dynamics when sending a shock for rebuild .

Here is a new YSS shock , I have heard good reviews on their XT600 vesion so I would think it would be similar on the 350 . Not the worst price either for a new shock , http://www.ebay.com/itm/YSS-TOPLINE-Z-Series-Z506-mono-rear-shock-Yamaha-XT-350-1985-1998-/272743797996?hash=item3f80cc14ec:g:1HoAAOSw0j9ZV4X9&vxp=mtr

There are companies making shocks that fit the bike still? I head read that this wasn't the case. Thanks!

8 hours ago, mlatour said:

Not sure which year XT350 you have but going with a 2000 model year and the shock assembly 3YT-22210-21-33,

a quick online shows it to be discontinued / obsolete. (was once listed at about 630$)

Obsolete parts is unfortunately a reality for many 10+ year old bikes.

Answering your own question, you should contact a Yamaha dealer to see if ever any 'new/leftovers' can be tracked down.

Again as mentioned in my previous message, if the shock is indeed a Kayaba (KYB) brand,

Technical Touch USA is the distributor for replacement parts (again pending they are still available)

Yamaha (any make) will usually not sell individual internal components, only the complete assy.

Contacting a suspension shop (Race Tech, Factory Connection etc.) with your questions will

answer if that model is even serviceable to begin and if so, possible options to fix.

I actually meant that question about Yamaha dealers in a more general sense. Like if I need new parts or something, will any Yamaha dealer be able to tell me if they still make them or not? Sorry if this is a dumb question I am new to bikes and especially older bikes. I feel like the local dealer would look at me like I have 3 heads lol.

Thanks for the response about the parts. Someone else mentioned I may be able to get a new one.. if not and it is not serviceable/cost effective then I will probably buy used as I couldn't do that work myself and . I was hoping to not buy used as I will end up with the same issues.

Thanks again

• Like 1