Anyone ever have a rim lock fail?  My riding buddy had the stem snap off the rim lock.  At the low tire pressures we use, this allowed the tire to spin on the rim and tear out the valve stem.  Instant and total flat tire that is 100% not fixable.  Even if he had had a spare tube, which he didn't, without a rim lock, that would also have been destroyed as soon as it was installed.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a rim lock failure like this?

I have seen a couple fail, but both were internal.  Any idea what torque he put on it? I think I am about 30ft/lbs.

If he had a spare tube, he could easily continue, just not at low psi. Put about 30 psi in and it will stay locked.

Rim lock had to have been way over torqued or not at all... should be around 15 ft/lbs.

Edited by DEMI
  • Like 1

Never had one fail but have sheard off a few valve stems off big bikes. Use to have a dr100 used for pit bike if I didn't have atleast 20psi I'd shear steam off. No Rim lock tho 

Never had one fail but have sheard off a few valve stems off big bikes. Use to have a dr100 used for pit bike if I didn't have atleast 20psi I'd shear steam off. No Rim lock tho 

Yes I've seen them break. In the old days we would put two rim locks in the rear for that reason. Now I run a single lock but I use only OEM Japanese rim locks. The broken ones I've seen in recent years have been aftermarket and I've looked at all the common aftermarket rim locks and none look as well made as the OEM japanese parts, which are usually made by one of the major tire manufacturers.

I use the Motion Pro lightweight rim locks in the front, but I don't trust them in the rear and haven't tried one there.

This seems ridiculous, but the manual for my 150xc calls for 7.4 ft/lb torque for the rim lock. I never used a torque wrench on a rim lock nut, and probably never tightened at that low a torque, but I also don't over tighten.

• Like 1

With the Honda OEM ones (tighten by feel after tube has been inflated during a tire install) and never had an issue.

You didn't specifically say the rear rim lock but I'm assuming so and I run my rear with a UHD tube as low as 2 PSI.

Now with that said I've started using the Motion Pro blue rim locks (which I like) and I way over tightened the first rear one (based on the OEM ones) I bought and ripped the bolt out of the plastic. I still tighten them by hand but IMO I re-check after the first ride on a new tire and might snug up if needed.

23 hours ago, CDNSXV said:

Anyone ever have a rim lock fail?  My riding buddy had the stem snap off the rim lock.  At the low tire pressures we use, this allowed the tire to spin on the rim and tear out the valve stem.  Instant and total flat tire that is 100% not fixable.  Even if he had had a spare tube, which he didn't, without a rim lock, that would also have been destroyed as soon as it was installed.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a rim lock failure like this?

With the Honda OEM ones (tighten by feel after tube has been inflated during a tire install) and never had an issue.

You didn't specifically say the rear rim lock but I'm assuming so and I run my rear with a UHD tube as low as 2 PSI.

Now with that said I've started using the Motion Pro blue rim locks (which I like) and I way over tightened the first rear one (based on the OEM ones) I bought and ripped the bolt out of the plastic. I still tighten them by hand but IMO I re-check after the first ride on a new tire and might snug up if needed.

JUST realized I had a couple of old rim locks hanging around.

This is a Motion Pro that I had on my 19" for about 2 years but replaced with the correct one a few months ago when I went to a 18" and IMO these are durable BUT as I posted you can over tighten.

20170731_171420.thumb.jpg.23ab6aa0d1c46b18b27f6cb52f342138.jpg

Then an OEM rear that I had on for say 2 years and might be able to see how the rubber is coming apart on both sides exposing the inner metal BUT IMO this really is not a failure cus it would still work fine holding the tire to the rim BUT it might cause a flat.

20170731_171440.thumb.jpg.99443c8428597e1f0083d6922443b6d4.jpg

Edited by filterx

In my buddy's case, the bolt snapped clean off where it meets the rimlock body.  Yep, it was the rear.