First MX old timers (over 40 novice)

First race is in the books. Also the first practice I've had on an MX track in 13 years. My goal was to finish and I did. I got faster each lap significantly. The PIR track was a bit tougher than I thought. The practice was pretty rough and I nearly endo'd a few times. Gotta work on my confidence but it will get better. Thanks for your advice. BTW. Finished dead freaking last. Video coming bur here are a few pics. 20170817_175029.jpg20170817_175346.jpg20170817_175659(0).jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using ThumperTalk mobile app

On 7/31/2017 at 8:35 AM, Motox367 said:

As said above very good advice :thumbsup: drink lots of water not that energy drink crap. Oh you'll probably have buterflys like never before lol but they go away soon as gate drops. Try to finish and have fun. Like I always say Race to race again :ride: take it easy for little bit learn from others and have fun. Yes pics we wanna see . Not sure where you are but here in upstate Ny the 40c class is one of biggest classes 

Yeah, I debated the 30 + beginner or the over 40 novice.  should have done the 30 + beginner and will race that next time.   fewer riders and they rode at close to my pace.  

Sounds like you're having fun and enjoying it! Our season starts Oct 1. Will be my 4th MX race in my life...Going to try to do a full season of races on my '83 CR250R, if it holds up. I may get a back-up. I'm also focussed on getting fit and getting more track time by then.

Will race in 50+ Novice...

Sounds like you're having fun and enjoying it! Our season starts Oct 1. Will be my 4th MX race in my life...Going to try to do a full season of races on my '83 CR250R, if it holds up. I may get a back-up. I'm also focussed on getting fit and getting more track time by then.

Yeah, I debated the 30 + beginner or the over 40 novice.  should have done the 30 + beginner and will race that next time.   fewer riders and they rode at close to my pace.  

Think so. Practice this weekend. Gotta get time in before the rain.

7 hours ago, FITZI6_7 said:

First race is in the books. Also the first practice I've had on an MX track in 13 years. My goal was to finish and I did. I got faster each lap significantly. The PIR track was a bit tougher than I thought. The practice was pretty rough and I nearly endo'd a few times. Gotta work on my confidence but it will get better. Thanks for your advice. BTW. Finished dead freaking last. Video coming bur here are a few pics. 20170817_175029.jpg20170817_175346.jpg20170817_175659(0).jpg

Hey you finished that's a good place to start :thumbsup:

Hey you finished that's a good place to start 

That was the goal.

Video was a bit dark...looked like sunset...How was the bike? It was hard to tell, but sounded well jetted.

1 minute ago, Sofiedog said:

Video was a bit dark...looked like sunset...How was the bike? It was hard to tell, but sounded well jetted.

It was twilight.  Bike ran better than the rider.  Jetting I think is better,  still a bit rich at low throttle but once warmed up it's fine.  It's a YZ250X.  I was really surprised at how smooth the suspension was.  I didn't hit anything remotely big, but did high side twice in practice.  the front end just absorbed it.  I really think I would have flipped it on my old RM with a stiffer suspension.  One thing I noticed was that I could tell I put on a flywheel weight and might wanna take it off and go back to stock when I ride MX.  On one hand it helped me sustain momentum as I approached jumps.  On another.... it slowed my revs down once or twice when I needed to get on it.  Will tinker less and ride more though. 

yeah...what I have "rediscovered" is its much more about seat time than the hardware...
It was a little hard to hear the engine, but it did seem like you should be able to get it on the pipe sooner...its a practiced skill to get the 2t on the pipe quickly, coming out of a turn.
No doubt, if its tuned for your weight and speed, that modern Yammie suspension is better than most riders...

51 minutes ago, Sofiedog said:

yeah...what I have "rediscovered" is its much more about seat time than the hardware...
It was a little hard to hear the engine, but it did seem like you should be able to get it on the pipe sooner...its a practiced skill to get the 2t on the pipe quickly, coming out of a turn.
No doubt, if its tuned for your weight and speed, that modern Yammie suspension is better than most riders...

I know I didn't get on the pipe and hammer it.  Last night was about getting on the track and surviving.  I'll get more aggressive over time.  Spent way too much time sitting and that will change.   I didn't feel confident jumping and needed to stay on the gas through the sweeping turns.   Trying to get the feel for what the bike does in certain situations, looking ahead etc. 

2 hours ago, FITZI6_7 said:

...I didn't hit anything remotely big, but did high side twice in practice.  the front end just absorbed it...

You got bigger balls than me trying MX at your age!! Good for you!!  I tried a couple hare scrambles back when I was 54 and felt lucky to survive.

About your terminology; I have a different definition of high-side than you. Are you talking about a nose dive?

To me, high-siding is going sideways off the bike on the side farthest from mother earth.  Like when you broad slide into a corner and suddenly the tires catch traction and the bike stands up ejects you toward the outside of the corner.  Or traversing a steep slope on a narrow bench cut and loose your balance and fall toward the downhill side.

So what is next for you?

44 minutes ago, wielywilly-g said:

You got bigger balls than me trying MX at your age!! Good for you!!  I tried a couple hare scrambles back when I was 54 and felt lucky to survive.

About your terminology; I have a different definition of high-side than you. Are you talking about a nose dive?

To me, high-siding is going sideways off the bike on the side farthest from mother earth.  Like when you broad slide into a corner and suddenly the tires catch traction and the bike stands up ejects you toward the outside of the corner.  Or traversing a steep slope on a narrow bench cut and loose your balance and fall toward the downhill side.

So what is next for you?

You are correct I mixed my terms.  Unfortunately I almost did both.  In practice I almost endo'd which is what I was describing above when I came up short on a small jump.  In the first moto, I almost high sided in the third turn when I came down the hill and powered through the rut.  My back tire caught and I ended up struggling to make the hill.  

I'm going to do it again.  My goal was not to race the other riders but to race the track and try to get comfortable.  It's gonna be a long while till I race someone else.  I've raced Hare Scrambles and agree, they can be a bit terrifying. last night I had the track to myself,  I tried to hold my line as best I could.  Had a blast.  

Great job...thanks for posting the vid!

I'm 49 and doing my first MX race on Sunday so I've been looking at vids of beginners in their first race. I will be in the 45+ beginner class.

Sunday can't come fast enough as it's weighing on my mind! Keep at it and let us know how your next race goes!

:ride:

Great job...thanks for posting the vid!
I'm 49 and doing my first MX race on Sunday so I've been looking at vids of beginners in their first race. I will be in the 45+ beginner class.
Sunday can't come fast enough as it's weighing on my mind! Keep at it and let us know how your next race goes!

:ride:

Get after it. Wish we had a beginner class. Last week there were 4 rider in 40 plus novice. Last night ten. 30 plus beginner had 2

17 hours ago, FITZI6_7 said:

Welcome aboard the moto express. I gotta tell you of a friend of mine and his first race. Day In The Dirt in the vintage class two years ago. He was 59 years old at the time. He got to the first hill off the start and crashed. Tried to get off the track and dropped his bike on the water line and broke it flooding the approach to the hill. It took him the whole race to get off the hill and he never made one lap. After that he was totally hooked. He went out and bought a 01 YZ250 and has completely rebuilt the thing. He has never finished better than second to last and is still completely hooked. His previous dirt experience was a Honda Mini Trail 70 in 7th grade in a field behind the Little League field. 

Welcome aboard the moto express. I gotta tell you of a friend of mine and his first race. Day In The Dirt in the vintage class two years ago. He was 59 years old at the time. He got to the first hill off the start and crashed. Tried to get off the track and dropped his bike on the water line and broke it flooding the approach to the hill. It took him the whole race to get off the hill and he never made one lap. After that he was totally hooked. He went out and bought a 01 YZ250 and has completely rebuilt the thing. He has never finished better than second to last and is still completely hooked. His previous dirt experience was a Honda Mini Trail 70 in 7th grade in a field behind the Little League field. 

that's the right attitude lol, fantastic

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Went to a practice session today at a track south of Portland. Crazy busy, but I spose eclipse fever is hitting everyone. I was able to jump better. Learned a lesson turning that I guess I knew but never thought of. When I hit the turn and really attack it the bike responded. A couple turns I had it almost side ways. It hooked up and I could power through it. When I am tentative I struggle and felt like I was fighting the bike. Have to work on sections and try to put it all together. Second track time but loads of fun.

Went to a practice session today at a track south of Portland. Crazy busy, but I spose eclipse fever is hitting everyone. I was able to jump better. Learned a lesson turning that I guess I knew but never thought of. When I hit the turn and really attack it the bike responded. A couple turns I had it almost side ways. It hooked up and I could power through it. When I am tentative I struggle and felt like I was fighting the bike. Have to work on sections and try to put it all together. Second track time but loads of fun.

Albany? Pm me when you wanna hit the track, ill make ya look blazing fast!

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Sounds great. Getting the bike to slide and having your response be to power through it in control instead of chopping the throttle is a huge step...course, I still screw it up a lot...
I got out to practice, too. Did five sets of 5 lap "motos". I know I will be sore tonight. I think I'm getting faster. Right now, I'm practicing keeping my rpms up in the turns, accelerating out of the turns quicker, accelerating more (get into higher gears before the next turn), and braking later into turns. Whenever I think I'm doing great, someone blows by me in a whole gear higher...oh well...seat time...