First Gear, which direction?

Putting transmission back together. Cant remember which way first gear went in. Is it this way (1) 20170730_181136.jpg

Or this way (2)

20170730_181152.jpg

By the wear i think its the first way, not sure tho, and i really dont want to split the cases again. Online diagrams are not detailed enough for me to tell. Thanks for the help for anyone who knows.

Since im here, another quick question. Are there supposed to be only 3 dowel pins between the crankcase halfs? I couldve sworn there were 4, but one of the holes is to small on one side for a dowel pin to fit. So this hole is to small.

20170730_181312.jpg

The rest are this big.

20170730_181332.jpg

...so why do i have 4 dowel pins -_-

Sent from my SM-G955U using ThumperTalk mobile app

Ok pretty sure i figured it out. Think #1 was correct. Opened it back up and 4th and 5th gear moves mostly just the center fork. After looking at why that might not be moving turns out the center fork is attachrd to the rod and the passage where the rod moves had some gunk in it. After scrubbing it and lubing it up more I'm able to get all gears... i think...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alexward1230 said:

Since im here, another quick question. Are there supposed to be only 3 dowel pins between the crankcase halfs? I couldve sworn there were 4, but one of the holes is to small on one side for a dowel pin to fit. So this hole is to small.

Did you get your dowels sorted out?

Did you get your dowels sorted out?

Im still not 100% sure on that either. I put it back together (for the 4th time now) with just the 3. I dumped some oil in it and its not leaking between the crankcase halves. So thats a good sign. But i guess i wont know for sure until i fill it up for real.
The weird thing to me is that one side of the crankcase was larger, like a dowel pin should be used. But the other side was smaller, and there was no way a dowel pin would fit in it. So no idea whats going on there. Im hoping the dowel pins are more for alignment, not to stop oil from leaking or something. I guess ill find out soon enough

You said you have a 4th dowel pin left over. Can you take a pic of it? There's a "dowel" that can often fall out of the oil pump (under the clutch cover) ... wondering if it could be from that.

• Like 1

Its #1. The recessed part is in back where the next gears dogs are.

Buy a FACTORY MANUAL, an actual book, not a computer and you wont have to ask anyone anything nonetheless ask them twice.

And go buy a magnetic ashtray and you wont have the dowel situation again.

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C
  • Like 1

You said you have a 4th dowel pin left over. Can you take a pic of it? There's a "dowel" that can often fall out of the oil pump (under the clutch cover) ... wondering if it could be from that.

Oh good call ill check. The dowel looked exactly the same as the others tho, so i dont think thats it.

partsbandit fiche great for some of these questions.
Shows 3 case dowel pins (and lists 3 in the parts listing)
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2016-honda-xr650l/o/m157684#sch939827
hm1215060011.gif

oil pump page shows 4 dowel pins I think, 2x #16, 2x#23
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2016-honda-xr650l/o/m157684#sch939835
hm1215060032.gif

This is exactly what i needed, thank u sir! The ones i could find didnt have the lines showing how things connect. They only showed 1 dowel off to the side in fact, just to let u know it exists i guess. Def gonna bookmark this site thanks again!

Its #1. The recessed part is in back where the next gears dogs are.
Buy a FACTORY MANUAL, an actual book, not a computer and you wont have to ask anyone anything nonetheless ask them twice.
And go buy a magnetic ashtray and you wont have the dowel situation again.

Sorry man, i didnt mean to hurt ur feelings by asking twice.
I do have a FACTORY MANUAL (yes which would be an actual book). The images are about 2 inches and dark making it difficult to tell. I was able to find 1 decent pic which looks like its in position #1 20170731_075102~2.jpg which is why i was leaning towards #1 in the op. Before i put everything back together i wanted to be sure, more sure than a grainy 2 inch image. If u dont want to answer twice then dont do it, no need to whine about it.

Three dowels for sure.  I don't think the lower front hole is counter-bored on one side to accept a dowel.  Odd that you would have 4 that are exactly alike.  

Below is a picture of proper gear install (pay no attention to the extra countershaft I was showing someone the difference in the L and R shaft).

20150502_204420.jpg

Edited by Hollerhead

No whining. Just a statement you didnt like because it was true. If someone didnt know, they wouldn't answer.

I want your motor together as much as you do. If you were a softy, you wouldn't be riding a bike like this in the first place. Nonetheless a full rebuild. You passed not being a softy, so you should be able to take a couple punches.

Im not the biggest dick on here by far...(Joe ;) Honda is the biggest dick. Im much nicer on the internet.

I agree with you on grainy pictures

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

No whining. Just a statement you didnt like because it was true. If someone didnt know, they wouldn't answer.

I want your motor together as much as you do. If you were a softy, you wouldn't be riding a bike like this in the first place. Nonetheless a full rebuild. You passed not being a softy, so you should be able to take a couple punches.

Im not the biggest dick on here by far...(Joe ;) Honda is the biggest dick. Im much nicer on the internet.

I agree with you on grainy pictures

Gee , thanks P A L.   :smirk:

• Like 1

Oh yeah. Youve used that acronym to me before. I forgot it...Ill look it up...youll be that dick, yet we still learn off you...so how can we hate? Alex wont hate that his trannys working...everyones heated their first, second, fifth...time in the bottom end...except Steve! ;)

Three dowels for sure.  I don't think the lower front hole is counter-bored on one side to accept a dowel.  Odd that you would have 4 that are exactly alike.  
Below is a picture of proper gear install (pay no attention to the extra countershaft I was showing someone the difference in the L and R shaft).
20150502_204420.thumb.jpg.ae9c5c0a3ba1e825ca01651d569ebc57.jpg

Perfect! I know for sure i did it right then. Thanks for the help!

• Like 1