How to remove stripped bolts for seat on plastics?

So, i just bought my cr125 a couple weeks ago, and the bolts that go from the side panels to the seat are stripped. Everytime i try to remove it with a socket wrench, it just gets off, even with force added. The top of the bolt is stripped. I've tried cresent wrenches to fix it, and they just don't fit. I want to be able to remove my seat so I can get to the air filter to clean it, so far not going so good. Let me know what i can do to get the stripped bolts off!

There's a few different ways you can do this.  By the way, for future references, I stay away from crescent wrenches as much as possible because they're usually good for one thing, rounding off bolts.  Always use the correct socket and be patient.  I know you said you bought it already stripped, just pointing this out in hopes that it'll save you some headaches in the future.

Now, being that you're already working on a rounded off bolt let's get this thing off.  Below are some suggestions.  You can try any of them that you have the tools for.

1) EZ out drill bits.  Lightly tap the bit in and start slowly rotating it counter clockwise.  It'll bite in and start rotating the bolt.

2) Grab it with Vise Grips.  If you don't have enough to grab on to try numbers 3, 4, or 5 below.

3) Use a Dremal to clean up the bolt head and give you a better grip with Vise Grips.  Be careful around the subframe.

4) Tack weld a piece of metal to the bolt head then grab that with Vise Grips.  Be very careful if you have someone do this as to not damage the subframe.

5) JB weld a piece of metal to the bolt head, then come back the next day and take the Vise Grips to it.

This is really easy to fix and is a good problem to learn on, just take your time and do it right.  Keep that air filter clean after every ride and stay away from the "strip-o-matic" wrenches.  Let us know when you get it off and get some new bolts on there.

Also, check your hardware often, even out on the track in between rides to make sure everything is snug.  The aluminum frame bolt holes strip easy so never over torque.  Instead use Thread Lock particularly on all the smaller hardware that holds your plastics on.  I personally don't use any on those exact bolts that you're working on for the seat just because I'm removing them after every ride, but I do use it on all my other hardware that holds plastics on.

• Like 1

What has worked well for me is #3, but instead of trying to clean up the head, just cut a slot (for a flat head screw driver bit) in the head so you can use a hand impact driver to loosing it and remove the bolt. Can't tell you how many times this has saved me.