new to forum

i just wanted to say hey to everyone glad to see people keeping these bikes alive! i have a few questons about my elsinore that i hope i can behelped with! thx all

1976 honda cr250m elsinore   

yamaha blaster with 1987 yz490 motor (in process of puttin together)

1987 honda 250x frame with kick up foot pegs, shock re locator for 400ex shocks. 400ex plastics, douglas chrome wheels. kawasaki 250r ninja motor. k@n pod filters

dual exaust. 

• Like 3

Blaster with 490 engine why???  Such a little qaud with shit for brakes. Death machines sounds like to me lol where do you ride them?

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

lol yea the drums are a issue i havent rode this bike the motor mounts are welded and the engine and chain are mocked up.the engine still needs overhauled.

and the blaster being a death trap that is a complement  thats what i was goin 4 lol.

my other racing atv does very well considering the 250r motor on the crotch rocket is a terd! so i ran a 41 tooth in the back with a 12tooth (stock was 14) up front and that had to be machined because as far as i no right now they dont make 12tooth sprockets for the ninja250r

that helped me achieve low end it desperately needed. and still blinding speed with the 6speed.   dont ride the elsinore that often just the other day it stopped firing so im having issues with that. 

my get around bike is my  1998 500ltf suzuki quad runner i ride it more than any of them lol. 

i ride them hear at home. i want to go to the sand dunes ive never been there but it looks so dam fun!

• Like 2

Points condenser be first thing id check on the 250m if has compression still ofcourse. Not much of a qaud guy but have had my share of 3wheelers and rode 250r qauds ltr250s,500 but a modern 450 qaud puts all them to shame . Rode a Honda and Suzuki they where nice for qauds

• Like 1

I got to ride my friends 2017 450x dirtbike electric start the other day he just got it on payments, and to be honest it was terrifying in great way, first time on a 450 dirtbike

the acceleration was shattering, and they rev so quick. 

and to verify when you say condenser are you talking about the arm on mag that makes contact with the crank lobe?

or the cylinder shaped things bolted on the magnets as well?

(look over me, i am lost with old ignition systems i bought it already assembled bolted it up ran to my coil it fired so i ran it up until now.

lost no compression, just all spark and i tryed a diffrent ngk plug to rule out fouling it out.

14 minutes ago, cr250m said:

I got to ride my friends 2017 450x dirtbike electric start the other day he just got it on payments, and to be honest it was terrifying in great way, first time on a 450 dirtbike

the acceleration was shattering, and they rev so quick. 

and to verify when you say condenser are you talking about the arm on mag that makes contact with the crank lobe?

or the cylinder shaped things bolted on the magnets as well?

(look over me, i am lost with old ignition systems i bought it already assembled bolted it up ran to my coil it fired so i ran it up until now.

lost no compression, just all spark and i tryed a diffrent ngk plug to rule out fouling it out.

Yes 450s  are sweet.  And yep that's points.  Try cleaning with nail file or fold up sand paper even . If doesn't work then probably need new condenser and points.  But check for loose wire or bad plug cap never know.  You'll need flywheel puller to change them

thanks, ill try that tomorrow  i think the plug calls for a 0.7mm gap correct me if Im wrong. ill keep you updated man thx

Cheers!

• Like 1

got it took apart today..hot as hell out. i done the sand paper, and i can feel spark like if i put a screw driver in the coil socket and hold it. but when i put the plug on.

nothing? is it possible for these bikes to not make sufficient spark? got and other ideas? i ordered points and condenser today them may not be the problem but there cheap and it cant hurt right?

figured id show you a pic of one of the death traps! lol cheers man

IMG_3752.JPG

IMG_3754.JPG

IMG_3755.JPG

IMG_3758.JPG

IMG_3757.JPG

i forgot my bike says august  1975...does that make it a 75 or 76?

13 minutes ago, cr250m said:

i forgot my bike says august  1975...does that make it a 75 or 76?

76 most likely.  Ya hopefully condenser bad. Qaudlooks good. Try different plug cap never kmpe

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cr250m said:

got it took apart today..hot as hell out. i done the sand paper, and i can feel spark like if i put a screw driver in the coil socket and hold it. but when i put the plug on.

nothing? is it possible for these bikes to not make sufficient spark? got and other ideas? i ordered points and condenser today them may not be the problem but there cheap and it cant hurt right?

When you are looking visually for spark across the plug gap, make sure the metal body of the plug is grounded to metal on the engine.

• Like 1

SWEET! I mostly hang in the KTM forum but loved these pictures. 

The 76 CR250 brings back great memories. I had a 74. Aluminum tank, underslung pipe, thought it was the most powerful thing on earth! 

My daughter had a Ninja 250.

27429-c6c7e597ba233bf7a92174537d5c3993.j

I rode it some and liked it but it isn't exactly what I picture as a quad motor. How does it work?

I also have a Blaster with bad a$$ MX motor, a KTM250. It is a wild ride, wheelies aplenty, instant speed. 

26837-91ae072f9ab88385d63c0ac3bcc63495.j

Are you sure we ain't brothers from another mother?  Nice picts, nice to hear from you. 

• Like 2

hey man sorry for the long reply been very busy my birthday was august 26 and my boys was the 28th. so mostly preparing for that stuff. man its so cool to see someone else like me changing these quads and bikes around especially there engines!! love your blaster man wow got a ton of questions about that bike! would love to see your motor mount setup and other things like how you ran the pipe got to have  more pics of that bike, i will post you some pics of my blaster with the yz490 motor project its coming along in the process of figuring out were to run the enormous 490 collector pipe lmao, but please more pics of the blaster please if you still got it i love it! as far as my ninja quad..gearing was the saving factor on this quad because as you no the little 250 twin redlines at 1600k!! so low end power is none existence lol, i had a place named sprocket specialties make a 11 tooth front sprocket for the front and i mated it with a 45 on the back. bike comes to alive like a DEMON after 10000k and pulls like a banshee after that rpm range!! and with the six speed tranny this bike still does over 100mph, its a 4stroke 2stroke is how i describe it to people and also 16000k power shifts are like living in heaven LOL i wanted to add that, got alot i really want to talk to you about man keep in touch!! 

I still have it, although I ride my stock(ish!) motored ones more often these days. Here is a pict of it while fitting the engine:

full?d=1477708832

Motor in frame is a 2003 KTM 250SX which sits the cylinder straighter up than the 2002 380 sitting on the floor. It fits the frame better. 

Lazy boy Steve catching some rays. Give some detail of the pipe and radiatior (250 Mojave I believe)

full?d=1479916279

Pipe is a KTM 250 pipe cut and rotated to fit. I added 1" to improve low rpm torque, which it did but it limits high rpm somewhat. Not a bad thing for an ATV. I also added a header flange to make it possible to disassemble and remove the pipe.

full?d=1478916522

More picts on my Facebook page. Sent you a link by private message.

• Like 2

you was right on the points and condenser motox367, put them on with a new ngk plug and second kick the bike was running even better than before! so many thx to you as well! been riding it this morning we have had 2 days of rain but that has just helped the bike get sideways easier! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, cr250m said:

you was right on the points and condenser motox367, put them on with a new ngk plug and second kick the bike was running even better than before! so many thx to you as well! been riding it this morning we have had 2 days of rain but that has just helped the bike get sideways easier! 

Good deal. I'm at practice track now :ride:

2 stroke quads is what got me into riding to begin with. I still have my original bike, good ol' stockish '93 Banshee. Rips in every gear and pulls all the way up to about 85mph. Handles like a tank, but can be cornered with appropriate throttle modulation! ;) This is the most recent picture of it, just ran it after a few months. Never fails to get the blood pumping.IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_3752.thumb.JPG.ca60948c55a3c852ed3a3a12bd5f1de4.JPG
IMG_3754.thumb.JPG.dc51510c4ddc9cbbbc582f89e3066e6f.JPG
IMG_3755.thumb.JPG.d60be2da749f52b0b951b34decdf14d4.JPG
IMG_3758.thumb.JPG.8f36ab75aa2afc0d76c71f5b398da3e9.JPG
IMG_3757.thumb.JPG.7d1094d1a9909511269edc4b9f6f5e9d.JPG

That stator/generator/magneto(not sure what it is on these older bikes, my '78 yamaha calls it a generator in the manual) looks pretty rusty/dirty. Could be part of the problem. If you have a manual, I'd diagnose it. If there's one thing I've learned, electricity and dirt/rust don't work well together. It looks like water has got in there at some point. That could be part of the issue.