Bought a ktm 250 that didn't start

Long story short.  I originally posted in the wrong sub forum.  I don't know a ton about dirt bikes and I'm still learning.   This ktm is my 2nd bike.  Currently have a 2009 yz450f 

purchased a 2006 ktm 250 sxf 4 stroke a while back for 600 bucks.  I couldn't resist for 600 bucks and the bike looked clean, cosmetically.  

Kid, who was in college said it sat for 8 months and it stopped working.  It ran prior to sitting. I make the sweet deal for 600 bucks (talked him down from 1k) take it home and clean the carb, which was clogged.  Reinstalled the carb and nothing..

i check the spark plug.   It's good with good spark.

starter fluid into the intake did nothing.  

I opened the top end a few weeks back and noticed the exhaust shim was missing.  I get a magnet and get it out of the engine.  While doing this, I notice a large gap between the cam and the valves, which won't open... 

today I opened the top end again and removed the cam and cam bridge.  I noticed that the rocker arms were facing down, into the engine.  They weren't sitting on the valves as they should be.  (I've come to the conclusion that the kids were trying to troubleshoot why the bike didn't start but kinda sucked at it). I put the rocker arms where they go, put the cam back and close it all up.  I kick the bike and it actually sounds better (valves are now opening).  Still not starting.  I spray starter fluid into the intake and it sounds like it almost began starting. But nothing.

what else should I try?   I rechecked the timing and noticed it was a little off. I went and got it to TDC and put the timing chain back on.  I noticed there was waaaay too much slack in the chain after I put in the tension bolt on the front of the engine... what could the problem be here? 🤔

Any help is appreciated!!  I really think it's simple problem to fix (kid seemed like a straight shooter and didn't seem to be lying).  It ran before it sat. I just need to in screw whatever he screwed up I think.  

I also forgot to mention, my accelerator pump leaks when I open the throttle.   Would this be a reason it's not starting?   Fuel still gets sprayed into the intake.  

Update:

i bought a new cam chain tensioner. Manual one.  Installed it and adjusted the cam chain. Now the bike will kick over about 3/4 the way then stop as it something is stuck.  Any idea what this can be?   It did kick over befor all of this.  The clearances are all good except the left exhaust.  It's sitting at .30.   Any ideas?

Yeah, I'm hoping so.  Any ideas what the problem can be?   I initially thought the cam chain was too tight,  it loosened it and it didn't change anything 

On 8/22/2017 at 3:06 PM, Jskinn27 said:

Update:

i bought a new cam chain tensioner. Manual one.  Installed it and adjusted the cam chain. Now the bike will kick over about 3/4 the way then stop as it something is stuck.  Any idea what this can be?   It did kick over befor all of this.  The clearances are all good except the left exhaust.  It's sitting at .30.   Any ideas?

I would check your cam timing a couple of times over very carefully. If the engine is completely locking before turning over a full revolution, you're probably having piston to valve contact. Something has to be misaligned. I've made a similar mistake on my kx250f because it has two timing marks at the crank. Personally, I would take it apart again and start from scratch with installing cams and chain. Make sure to closely follow the installation procedure in the shop manual. Hopefully there is no damage to any of the valves.

• Like 1