KTM 150 xcw or tm 144en?

Hi,

I currently ride a beta 300rr but would like to get a smaller bore bike with less power. In trials I have had a beta 200, montesa 250, have had a go on 300 trials bikes but the most fun I have had is on my a current ride, a 125 gas gas trials bike. I really enjoy revving the motor, the light feel of the bike and using the clutch for extra power. 

I mainly ride on a couple of local enduro loops, mainly single track, some technical riding. I want to do the occasional enduro, trail riding, a bit of MX and grasstrack. I am pretty average when it comes to speed.

I just want to get a machine I will be able to rev and have fun, the 300rr has got power everywhere, I feel as though I need to ride a gear high and can't really open her up. I've tried all sorts of mods and fiddled with the power valve but its just not working for me.

I've ridden a KTM 150 xcw and it was a lot of fun to ride. I felt as though I could open it up more in turns, it was lighter, gear selection more important than the beta! It left me with the feeling I had bought the wrong bike.

There aren't many companies offering small bore 2ts. If beta made a 200 I would not have got the 300 in the first place. 

The suspension looks pretty basic on the ktm and I have read mixed reviews, what do you guys think? Has anyone done a lot of hours on one, how long does a piston last? What is the quality like? Anyone ridden both bikes, could provide a comparison? Are the electric starts reliable now?

I'm 5 foot 7, 170lbs in gear and ride sportsman at local events. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Black-swan

44 minutes ago, poldies4 said:

Lots of good info in here...

Thanks, I've read that thread a few times, its a very good source of information. I have been considering the 150 for a long time, just digging for more info. There aren't a lot of reviews or information that I can find about the bike online. 

2 hours ago, Black-swan said:

Thanks, I've read that thread a few times, its a very good source of information. I have been considering the 150 for a long time, just digging for more info. There aren't a lot of reviews or information that I can find about the bike online. 

My bike started as a 13 150sx, not the same, but similar enough.  I would do a top end between 40 and 60 hours and they would always come out looking good.  Quality is excellent, like all KTM bikes.  I turned my 150 in to a 200, which was simple (ish) on the 15 and earlier 150's, not so much on the 16+.  Honestly, Since my last enduro I am giving the 150xcw a serious look. 

• Like 1

Not much more to dig and frankly, I'd stay glued to Ernie's original forum post.....probably your best bet for any info out there.

The suspension is not bad out of the box (better than previous KTM years), wouldn't race with it though (like any other stock bike).

The 150 is a finicky bike carb-wise and isn't anything new, however, it'll require tuning patience and once sorted out (I went with Lectron and very happy with it) it's a lightweight and very controllable rocket. I liken it to a very fast/modded 250 4t, but being much lighter as a 2t. The thing is basically a MTB with 40hp motor (an estimate).

I also have a '17' 250 xcw...2 different animals serving their purposes, and neither is leaving the garage.

Edited by hopsterj
  • Like 1

Listen to poldies4. Go for the very common KTM. TMs are real nice with great standard kit. Until you need to fix/borrow a part in the paddock on race day and can't find anyone else with one!

• Like 2

To me there are two downsides to the KTM 150 XCW.  First, you are paying for electric start (at least here in the USA), which is hardly necessary.  The weight of your boot/leg starts the bike, and if you stall when riding, if you have any forward momentum at all the bike will bump start itself.  Sure there may be an occasion where you are stuck on a hill or something where it would be nice, but you have to judge if it would happen enough to justify the price and added complexity.  The second downside for me is the low first gear.  I ride small bores almost exclusively these days, and I like to rev every gear to the fullest and I use first gear a lot on single track trails.  First gear on the KTM 150 xcw is just too short if you like to rev the bike silly, and second gear does not have the punch I need on the tight single track.  If I buy a new KTM/Husky small bore, it will be the MX model, and get an offroad revalve.  A revalve is considerably less than the price difference between the MX models and the XCW.

I've never even seen a TM, but they sure look sweet in the magazines!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, rpt50 said:

To me there are two downsides to the KTM 150 XCW.  First, you are paying for electric start (at least here in the USA), which is hardly necessary.  The weight of your boot/leg starts the bike, and if you stall when riding, if you have any forward momentum at all the bike will bump start itself.  Sure there may be an occasion where you are stuck on a hill or something where it would be nice, but you have to judge if it would happen enough to justify the price and added complexity.  The second downside for me is the low first gear.  I ride small bores almost exclusively these days, and I like to rev every gear to the fullest and I use first gear a lot on single track trails.  First gear on the KTM 150 xcw is just too short if you like to rev the bike silly, and second gear does not have the punch I need on the tight single track.  If I buy a new KTM/Husky small bore, it will be the MX model, and get an offroad revalve.  A revalve is considerably less than the price difference between the MX models and the XCW.

I've never even seen a TM, but they sure look sweet in the magazines!

Interesting...I raced a very long, very tight enduro this weekend and love my sx trans in the tight stuff, although I do feel bad for my clutch though.  I thought I was the only one.

Still running the sx suspension though, and it sucks in the woods.  Made for a long day.

Edited by poldies4

This is a good question. I was trying to research the TM144en myself.  After having a couple of 150sx and not really the 150xcw the TM looked interesting.  I will now share everything I found out about the TM.

Well i did find a few vague articles but not much info. Couldn't find anywhere that even gave a weight. Lack of info, bike availability,  aftermarket parts and oem parts. 

TM is definitely an interesting and sexy looking bike, just not one i would take a gamble on. 

2 hours ago, poldies4 said:

Interesting...I raced a very long, very tight enduro this weekend and love my sx trans in the tight stuff, although I do feel bad for my clutch though.  I thought I was the only one.

Still running the sx suspension though, and it sucks in the woods.  Made for a long day.

Hey, no need to feel bad; KTM clutches are VERY durable.  Money spent on suspension is well worth it when you are using an MX bike in off road conditions.  

Small bores and wide ratio trans don't mix IMO but I will admit I'm not found of a wide ratio gear box on any bike. 

Get a 2016 150sx, better gearing, lighter weight and has a Keihin carb. As mentioned Estart is a total waste on a small bore two stroke. 

PS 150's are not finicky to jet. 

57 minutes ago, TommyB 754 said:

PS 150's are not finicky to jet. 

The OP specified riding the xcw. It sucks, but the '17s' with the Mikuni are a total mess to jet (it's mess is commented about all across the planet)....btw, there's the stock plug at less than .5 hour...nice 'n' lean isn't it?

KTM really took the dumb pill dumping the 200, and too bad the 150 xc no longer exists.

Mikuni.jpg

Edited by hopsterj

16 hours ago, hopsterj said:

The OP specified riding the xcw. It sucks, but the '17s' with the Mikuni are a total mess to jet (it's mess is commented about all across the planet)....btw, there's the stock plug at less than .5 hour...nice 'n' lean isn't it?

KTM really took the dumb pill dumping the 200, and too bad the 150 xc no longer exists.

Mikuni.jpg

The 16 150sx was very consistent for us and the close ratio trans is much more appropriate for the displacement of the motor and that's why I suggested it to the OP. Plus the 16 SX is the same chassis as the 17xcw except has 4cs, linkage, and comes with a Keihin, so it makes more bike for the money then a "finicky" 17. I own a 17 husky equip with a mikuni and i wouldnt call it finicky but i did spend a fair amount of time tuning it for my liking but i have to do that with every bike i get, 2t, 4t, efi, they all take some set up..

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. Ive decided to keep the beta for now and respring it for my weight. The 150 xcw isn't available round here till October. If I change bikes in future it will be a toss up between the ktm150, tm 125 and beta 125 (or 200 when they produce it) Thanks again

• Like 1