Ktm 150sx or Crf250r

Has anyone ridden both of these bikes or just the ktm as I am thinking about buying one new but would like some pros and cons thanks.

Pro's

150sx   It's a 2 stroke, it's a KTM, one of the funnest bikes out there.

Can't think of 1 pro for a four stroke, loud, expensive rebuilds, did I mention they are loud.

• Like 3

I own a '16 150sx and i've ridden my friends '15 crf250 multiple times.

For the trails, the 150sx glides across roots and rocks even when off the throttle, and has decent bottom and mid, however not as much as the four stroke. the crf feels planted even when the bike is on the gas and will hit the roots harder when decelerating. it has a lot more power down low but doesn't scream as well up high.

For the track it's pretty much the same thing, the light(er) weight of the 150sx makes it easy to throw around compared to the crf250, and is very fun. On almost every forum about this bike and any demo of the lineup people always say the ktm 150 is the most fun. the four stroke on the track had the most low and made it easy to accelerate out of corners, but i really had to pay attention to corner speed on the ktm and it seems like it made me a better rider.

• Like 4

FAR  more people prefer a 250f over a 150. If I had to ride a four stroke I'd pick a 250 over a 450. 

I've owned an older crf250 and currently ride a tc150. The 250f was a good bike but I couldnt get excited over it. Sold it quicker than any bike ive owned. 

Maintenance is much easier on my 150. 

• Like 1

I had a 150sx , never rode a crf250 but I have a ktm 250xcf. Power wise i would give it to the 250f. Handling and flickableity the 150. You didn't specify if your track or trail riding.  

Edited by GreenMT_Rider
  • Like 1

Personally a 2 stroke guy and would take the 150 any day unless you are going to make a living out of motocross racing.

• Like 1

I have an 09 150sx and I love it. Whenever I race at the local track It keeps up with the 250f's very well and actually pulls away from them on very long straights. I would recommend the 150 because it's lighter and easier to throw around, and who doesn't love the sound of a 2-stroke in the morning?

• Like 1

I have both.  On a single lap, I can go faster on the CRF but I can keep my lap times more consistent on the 150SX. In a 15 minute Moto with myself on both bikes, I think I would get the holeshot on the CRF and lead for the first few laps until I get tired and me on the 150SX will pass me for the win.  Like the others said, the 150SX is way more fun to ride.  If I get to keep only one, I would keep the 150SX.

I've owned both, depends on what you're going to be doing with it to suggest one or the other. 

Really they're both great bikes. Find the best deal and choose. Of the dozen or more bikes I've had, I don't think I ever really regretted buying one. Pick one, modify it to suit your tastes and ride. Or ride first then modify!:)