heated grips or jackets?

hi all, its winter down here where I am and I dont handle the cold at the best of times. Currently my cold busting techniques are either dont ride, or carry a flask around filled with hot water and stop periodically to de ice my hands. I know...terrible!

What experience do people have with heated grips or jackets? I have a crf250l btw.

I've never worn a heated jacket but one of my bikes has heated grips and seat and when it's cold it makes riding much nicer.

• Like 1

Better compare your stator output to watts required by the vest/jacket. I kinda doubt it'll be enough. Sorry....I used to use an electic jacket when I had an FJR and rode down into the 30's no problem. 

Problem with heated gear on a "dirt bike" is electrical generation capacity.  Heated gear takes a LOT of electricity to work right. 

Rewound the stator on my 525 and it does just fine with lights/accessories, but when I added heated grips that put me just over the top.  It works fine (runs everything + charges battery) at riding rpm's, but at idle it won't generate enough power to prevent hte battery from draining.  I usually click the grips off when I'm stopped to prevent that from happening. 

• Like 1

I ride all winter , that means -15ºf at times . Till last year I never used heated gear , but getting older I bought a First Gear jacket and it's great . Biggest thing is the elements in the arms , that was the part getting cold on me the worst . I used to just wear my Reima snowmobile jacket and three layers of sweat pants under windpants , much warmer than jeans . This year I plan to experiment with grips and maybe pants but as stated the output of the stators is getting close on some of mine . My TE won't handle the jacket already so looking into a bigger stator for it . The other bikes I put all LED lights on so it free'd up a lot of juice. I also buy bigger batteries to handle extra draw and put  the bikes on chargers over night.

I bought a battery powered vest for my DR as my 90 watt 12v jacket was too much for the system. Also use battery gloves. Problem is they do not put out as much heat as 12v and only last about 2 hours on high so one would need to bring extra batteries on a long ride.