I just dual sported an 08 crf450x Honda and I am looking for recommendations on tires.  I want aggressive dual sport tires that can handle some mud, but still ride fairly smooth and hold up on asphalt.  Any suggestions based on experience?  Thanks!!

Mud and asphalt...  Big block is good for road, but just ok for light mud. Trackmaster good for mud but poor for the road.  Are you really looking for a tire that is ok at everything, but good at nothing or are you wanting more of one than the other?  People swear by the D606 as a DS tire. I have liked the IRC Battle Rally TR8 and feel they are very similar to the D606. Maybe the TR8 is better on the road, 606 better in the mud, maybe a slight difference?  It would be the holy grail of DS tire to have the best of both worlds.  If you are not aggressive on the pavement a a smaller knob might be ok on the road and better off road, but if you are aggressive on the pavement a big block type tread will be better on pavement, but not so good in the mud.  Point being two very different types of terrain and no perfect tire  to cover both. BTW,  trackmasters are horrible on pavement cornering and wont hold up on the pavement if your high spirited on the throttle.

• Like 1

If you find yourself only in the occasional mud, but most of your off road riding is rocky, rooty, hardpack, light sand and you also want a tire with good road manners the Big Block is more than sufficient. If you find you spend a lot of time in slimy thick mud you won't like the Big Block, but you'll more than likely find that anything you're looking at the will handle mud won't be good on the asphalt of last very long on the asphalt. For me, the Big Block is a good compromise and if I find mud on the trail I go around if possible and if not I work my way through it. 

• Like 1

Rather than re-type, you can check out my thoughts on some of these DS tires

I'm primarily east coast mud and back road old asphalt.  I am not aggressive on the road, and do not plan to ride highway speeds.  I'm more interested in surviving the mud (thus the 450x for bike choice).   I agree on small lugs, but hopefully something that is not so rough at 55 mph on asphalt.  I hear lots of good reports on the Shinko 244s.  I'm not look for cheap, but the comments are excellent.  Anything that should steer me away from these tires?   Thanks again everyone for your replies!!!!

I think the Shinko 244 will only be marginally better than the Big Blocks when it comes to mud. Mainly because the tread is so close together. Don't get me wrong they are a good Tire but more of a overall general purpose Tire. I think the Dunlop 606 might be a better option. If you wanted something a little more aggressive the Pirelli mt21 or the Kenda K 760 might be worth considering.