Starter spins but doesn't turn over motor.

I'm guessing it may be the starter clutch but was wondering if anyone has had this issue? Every once in a while it will turn the motor over a time or two but mostly just spins. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using ThumperTalk mobile app

6 hours ago, thelig said:

I'm guessing it may be the starter clutch but was wondering if anyone has had this issue? Every once in a while it will turn the motor over a time or two but mostly just spins. Thanks guys.

I would just pull the RS cover off and actually watch what happens when you hit the button, but it is likely the starter clutch is the cause of the problem.

I suspect you are correct. I had to do the same a few months ago.

I did my own. You will need to remove clutch basket and starter gearing. Leave the starter motor on as it is very difficult to get off with the flywheel cover on.

Just a bit of improvisation to hold shafts while undoing gear bolts.

1 hour ago, thelig said:

Guess that's not a bad job?

Thats kinda hard to answer because of not knowing if the person on the other side has any tools or mechanical experience or ability, or if they would need a service manual type book to use. The kickstart mechanism has been a problem for a few guys and there will be a few washers falling out when your removing parts that you need to keep track of.  But in general its not too bad, drain the trans fluid and coolant first.

Best to open things up and have a good look and determine if it is indeed your starter clutch.  I had a similar issue and thought it was the clutch, once i opened things up i realized i had a few teeth broken on the starter reduction gear, which in turn, damaged the bendix gear on the starter motor.  Ended up replacing, clutch, start motor, and red gear (and a few other small items that escape me).  Hopefully this is not your issue though.

image_zpsnuqqn6g6.jpeg

Let us know how you make out.

Ok everything looks good I side and I'm sure it's the starter clutch now. How do I remove the bolt that holds the starter clutch on. How do I jam it to keep that from spinning? And will I need a impact on it like I did the clutch basket? Thanks guys! 20170808_204553.jpg

I just grab a hold of the starter clutch outer housing behind the gear and use an impact wrench to loosen the bolt.

I dont like the idea of wedging something between the gear teeth and using a breaker bar but some guys do it that way, I guess either way would work.

Do I need to have the bike in a certain gear? I mean it slips and turns with the impact on do I need to worry about that causing damage to anything? I guess if I told tight and use short bursts with the impact it may be fine. Just don't wanna damage anything else while I'm in there. Ha. Thanks.

5 hours ago, thelig said:

Do I need to have the bike in a certain gear? I mean it slips and turns with the impact on do I need to worry about that causing damage to anything? I guess if I told tight and use short bursts with the impact it may be fine. Just don't wanna damage anything else while I'm in there. Ha. Thanks.

You dont want to cause the engine to turn over if you can help it.

Yeah if you have a impact wrench that has enough power to remove the bolt, short bursts while holding it should do it. Obviously dont put your fingers anywhere near the gear teeth, that could hurt if anything besides the bolt turned!

41 minutes ago, thelig said:

And is the threads on the bolt left or right handed threads? Just making sure before I stick a impact on it.

Yeah thats important to know, it is regular right handed thread. I dont have the torque spec for the bolt but if you have to, just mark it before loosening and return it to the mark when tightening.