buying a used XR650L

I have an XR200, XR250, and CRF250X (2 for kids, 1 for me). Always happy with Honda's reliability. I'd like to pick up a used 650 as I don't have a street legal dirt bike. I don't want to spend alot. Is there a certain year that is a good cut off for changes made to these bikes so I can start looking?

What is considered high miles? I see a few for around $3,000 with 8-10,000 miles on them.  Thanks for any tips.

Edited by dogeddie

No need to worry about the year.  There was a shifter spring change that made it .0001% more reliable. Lol.

Mileage won't tell you a whole lot.  I bought a '98 with 11,000 that was beyond ready for a rebuild.  I bought a '94 with 29,000 that was as smooth and tight as it could be but had a bad second gear.  I then bought an '02 with 11,000 that was beautiful inside and out.

Ride it.  Look it over.  If it looks good and doesn't smoke on startup or during engine braking deceleration, and no gears act like they don't want to go in or stay in it's probably a good bike.  Check that countershaft (search on here to know what the issue is).

I think $3,000 is a great price for a good bike no matter what the age, obviously really nice new bikes are priced much higher.  $2,000 for a smoker.  $1,500 for one with gear or countershaft issues.  Extra stuff is added at prices that are up to you.  Some stuff I'd pay extra for, other stuff I'd charge them to remove. :D

Bottom line; the bike seriously hasn't changed at all so if you don't want a brand new one,  get one in the neighborhood of $3,000 unless there is good bit of quality work already done and/or it has extras already installed you'd spend money on anyway.

Edited by Hollerhead

I looked at the countershaft articles and I assume there is a problem with wear on the splines at the front sprocket? Any way to check if this is an issue on a used bike, or a potential issue without pulling the sprocket?

Is this common to all XR650s or certain years? Thanks

Edited by dogeddie

It is common on all years of 650Ls.  

With the stock sprocket cover in place it can tricky to tell much about the wear.  That cover is easily removable with an allen wrench though and it only takes a minute.  

There should be minimal wiggle (no wobble) to be considered good.  Ask the owner about it, if they are familiar with the issue they're usually quick to show if it is good or that they have been running the thicker 650R gear to combat shaft spline wear.  If they've never heard of the issue then you'll want to pull that cover off and check for sure.  Some folks have many, many thousands of miles on their L with no countershaft issues.  

It can just get expensive if that shaft is in need of replacement.

• Like 2

Thanks again! Is a 650R sprocket the only fix/preventative measure?

Edited by dogeddie

10 hours ago, Hollerhead said:

It can just get expensive if that shaft is in need of replacement.

The shaft itself is only $100 & change ... the problem is what you get into to swap it out, lol.

• Like 2

I'm really trying to decide between an XR650L and a DRZ400. I have a CRF250x for tight trails that I want to keep  so I have that covered, but want to sell my street bike and get a dual purpose bike as it will drastically increase my riding areas, and I fear for my life more than I like on the streets now with all the texting idiots. Anyone experience both bikes? I guess my big fear is the size of the XR650 - I am 50 years old and around 5'9 or 5'10 with a 30-31" inseam. Keep hearing how intimidating it is. I guess the bike would really be more of a fire road and atv trail type bike as the 250x handles the tough trails.

Low maintenance and reliability are huge for me as the older I get the less I like maintenance, and the 250X is more intensive than I like already. Don't care for fuel injection or liquid cooling. Just more stuff to break as I see it. looking for a go anywhere bike that will last with minimal input from me. Thanks for any feedback.

Thanks - probably ought to hop on one and see what happens.

I want a stock bike. What are the common mods I can watch for to determine what's been done to it? Where is the smog setup? Thanks for any tips

Edited by dogeddie

Here are a couple from Craigslist. I believe the one on the bottom has the smog removed? I guess I'd like it totally stock if possible so I know what I got.  One is a 2008 and 1 is a 2009. Both have 5-6k for miles. Same price essentially. Thoughts?

xr650 2.jpg

xr650.jpg

Edited by dogeddie

Sup dogeddie,

The upper pic is as about as stock looking bike as you will find.

The bottom pic has had some changes IE: Rear fender, brake light assembly, hand guards, smogtapuss removed. More than likely "Dave Mods" have already been done. (Bike is ready to go)

Keep in mind....The upper bike will need "Dave Mods" done (if not already). Can't zoom any closer...but looks as tho the Smogtapuss is still installed on the upper pic.

Good luck with either choice. 5-6k on either (if maintained) is no problems.

As far as the being Vertically challenged lol ;)...I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam and don't have any problem. Kuba (sp?) makes a Lowering Link that can help if you require a little lower seat height.

• Like 1

Yeah, the lower guy told me it was all stock so I kinda lose the trust there a fuzz. Is the fender stock and just the light aftermarket? The top one is a 2008, lower one is a 2009. Thanks for pointing that out.

Well....a google image search for an 09 XR650L does show a white rear fender...soooo would be stock.

Mine is 08...so red rear fender. That'z what I was basing my opinion on for the 09. My bad.

But the rear light is not stock from what I see

Edited by dogeddie

correct...09 still has the big cow suckin' boat anchor of an assembly. 

You'll need one of these...reguardless of the size of your........(brake light). ;)

manrack.jpg