09 RMZ-250 trans regearing

Picked up a 09 RMZ-250 over the winter.

I've basically done a full tear down and rebuild on the motor (crank, piston 290bb kit). replaced the clutch. rebuilt the forks. replaced brake hoses. tires, tubliss, new chain/sprockets. etc.

I regeared the final drive to get it down low enough to give me that granny first gear I need for some of the riding I do here in northern Utah but now I'm disatisfied with my top speed in 5th gear.

I knew that regearing was a pros/cons game and I had to sacrifice top speed to get my gearing manageable in the technical stuff instead of having to arm pump myself to death clutching a high 1st gear when things get snotty.

Well, now I couldn't be more pleased with my low gears and my speed/control in the tight/technical stuff but I get out on the dirt roads and have to wrap out the motor to move at a decent pace.

So, my question is, does anyone know if theres a source for different gear ratios for the transmission.   I'm thinking I'd tear the trans apart this winter and regear *IF* I can find parts to do it.

I've just gotten back into dirt biking after a 12 year hiatus (and I'm only 30 yrs old) and I've spent the season tweaking/tinkering with my bike to work out all the kinks and shes treating me awesome. I've honestly almost run out of things to nitpick but unfortunately I have a mechanic's brain and every ride I find something else I want to tweak to make her work a little better for me and my riding style.

From what I can find there aren't any alternate gears available but I didn't know if maybe the gears in an RMZ-250 were interchangeable with a different model?  Maybe the RMX model or DRZ?  I know it's a long shot but this bike is nearly perfect and other than not having e-start the transmission gearing is the only thing that I would like to change and may not be able to.

Thanks

Never heard of anyone offering alternate transmission gears, I'd stick with messing with the final drive ratios and possibly engine mods to get the power in the right place to pull those ratios.  In your case consider doing some engine mods for more low end so you can lighten up on the granny final drive ratios.  Then again, with a 290 kit your about as good as your going to get.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

I think I'll probably just live with it for now.  Or maybe add a tooth in the front and test that out since front sprockets are so cheap.

I knew it was a long shot.

I really like how low my first gear is when things get very steep because 1)i tend to stall the motor going uphill due to fatigue on long ascents then need to get moving again and I still struggle with good clutch control while trying to regain balance and get back on the pegs on a steep and rocky/bumpy climb. 2) steep downhill I can use both engine braking and then supplement with some rear brake without stalling the motor.

I'll have to mull it over.

I bought a t-shirt from dirt bike channel.  Maybe i'll just win his Sherco? Then my suzuki can just be a loaner bike ?

17 hours ago, Bachnok said:

Thanks for the reply.

I think I'll probably just live with it for now.  Or maybe add a tooth in the front and test that out since front sprockets are so cheap.

I knew it was a long shot.

I really like how low my first gear is when things get very steep because 1)i tend to stall the motor going uphill due to fatigue on long ascents then need to get moving again and I still struggle with good clutch control while trying to regain balance and get back on the pegs on a steep and rocky/bumpy climb. 2) steep downhill I can use both engine braking and then supplement with some rear brake without stalling the motor.

I'll have to mull it over.

I bought a t-shirt from dirt bike channel.  Maybe i'll just win his Sherco? Then my suzuki can just be a loaner bike :)

That's a good plan.  And just for the heck of it you should fill in what your location is, then riders in your area could possibly be more helpful.