Tx300 or fx450

Hey guys I'm in the market for a new bike and I'm trying to decide between a husky tx300 and a fx450. I've owned a 09 yz250 and a 2010 ktm 250sx and I like the lightweight and easy rebuild of a 2 stroke, but I'm also interested in the power and maybe fuel economy? Of a 4 stroke, I'm just not so sure about checking valve clearances or rebuilding it myself.are 450s really that much heavier and harder to work on that 2 strokes?  I'm looking to ride the track with my buddies as well as some after work woods/hill/open field riding. What do you guys think, any opinions would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Yesterday's convo with happy "A" TX300 owner.
Me: Four strokes are easy, pick a gear and tractor, no clutch magic needed.

Him: Your view on two strokes is skewed by your cursed yz. You literally just described my tx. It's infinitely easier to ride than any modern 4 stroke.

Him: I used to believe I could make my 4 stroke mxers into decent woods bikes. Now I know I was wrong.

Me: where should I go to buy one?

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

37 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

Yesterday's convo with happy "A" TX300 owner.
Me: Four strokes are easy, pick a gear and tractor, no clutch magic needed.

Him: Your view on two strokes is skewed by your cursed yz. You literally just described my tx. It's infinitely easier to ride than any modern 4 stroke.

Him: I used to believe I could make my 4 stroke mxers into decent woods bikes. Now I know I was wrong.

Me: where should I go to buy one?

He doesn't sound very informed about 4ts...

28 minutes ago, Sateoronies said:

What about the differences in cost of operation and maintenance? (Mixing gas, oil changes, valve clearances etc...)

Maintenance is pretty much dead equal...New 4ts such as the FX450 are as reliable as anything else out there. You could easily break 200+hrs on a 450 with little more than a valve check...and checking valves is easy and relatively painless.

That all being said, unless you need a 450 for a specific purpose such as more wide-open desert runs or hillclimbs, I would encourage you to look at the FX350. Quite a bit more forgiving when you're tired... 

Maintenance is pretty much dead equal...New 4ts such as the FX450 are as reliable as anything else out there. You could easily break 200+hrs on a 450 with little more than a valve check...and checking valves is easy and relatively painless.
That all being said, unless you need a 450 for a specific purpose such as more wide-open desert runs or hillclimbs, I would encourage you to look at the FX350. Quite a bit more forgiving when you're tired... 

How is the bottom end power on a 350? From what I've read they like to be revved, I like to lug as well as ride on the pipe.

2 hours ago, HeavyRotation said:

He's the most talented motorcyclist I know, he is always glad to take doubters into the canyon though, you're nearby right? Pm me.

I ride into anything with anyone... But saying a 300 is 'that' much better than a 4t, or even a YZ250X, or that the 300 is easier to ride is just simply untrue. A good rider is a good rider, the bike is just a small part of a bigger picture.

But, just to cover my bases, if you want to play the "Jarvis or Walker card ride a 300"... Yes, you're right they do, but what they do is beyond most riders capabilities, where as Strang and Russell both ride 4ts, and on terrain that most of us can and will ride. 

I ride into anything with anyone... But saying a 300 is 'that' much better than a 4t, or even a YZ250X, or that the 300 is easier to ride is just simply untrue. A good rider is a good rider, the bike is just a small part of a bigger picture.
But, just to cover my bases, if you want to play the "Jarvis or Walker card ride a 300"... Yes, you're right they do, but what they do is beyond most riders capabilities, where as Strang and Russell both ride 4ts, and on terrain that most of us can and will ride. 

Yeah that invite is for you, I can't even make it TO the hard trails.

2 hours ago, Sateoronies said:

How is the bottom end power on a 350? From what I've read they like to be revved, I like to lug as well as ride on the pipe.

The 350s come with incredibly tall gearing at 14/50. If you're smart you'll hear it down to 13t which is probably the single best change you can make on them. And yes, the 350s lug very well but also make up great power up top too. My buddy who had a 17 TX300 dumped his last week in favor for a new 350. He could never get the 300 to run right. Especially in high elevation the bike made about as much power as a PW50 but ran worse. People love their 300s around my area, but you just don't see many 17s on the podiums as they just seem to either not take the time to set them up, or are quite finicky to jetting issues.. 

The 350s come with incredibly tall gearing at 14/50. If you're smart you'll hear it down to 13t which is probably the single best change you can make on them. And yes, the 350s lug very well but also make up great power up top too. My buddy who had a 17 TX300 dumped his last week in favor for a new 350. He could never get the 300 to run right. Especially in high elevation the bike made about as much power as a PW50 but ran worse. People love their 300s around my area, but you just don't see many 17s on the podiums as they just seem to either not take the time to set them up, or are quite finicky to jetting issues.. 

I've been kinda leaning towards a 4 stroke (even more so the 350 now that i know i dont need or will be able to use all that 450 power) since all I've owned were 2 strokes so far, just to hear something different.I didn't really want to mess with jetting changes although I don't change elevation much if at all, but i was more or less wondering if the cost of mixing gas would be the same as the more frequent oil changes on a 4t. Or should I not even be worrying about this and just get a bike and ride  Sent from my SM-G930W8 using ThumperTalk mobile app 

the TX 300 is a much easier bike to ride than the 350 or 450. and NO, the 350 does not lug like a 300, not even close. The 350 is infamous for it's flameouts. Even with gearing changes, tps changes, etc, you are always covering the clutch. A 350 likes to rev, it is more comfortable going fast than slow, for sure. The 300 is a jack of all trades, it is an excellent enduro and trail riding bike, but it has torque that rivals any and surpasses some 450's. The new chassis coupled with an electric motor, VERY little vibration, and very good suspension makes an incredible package. I had a '13 350 xc-f, I have ridden a '14 6 days (many times) 350excf, and have ridden several times a buddies '17 350xc-f (great bike, but not nearly as good as the 300 in the singletrack/ woods/ mountains).

Jetting is the only downfall to the 300. Once you have it figured out, it is an incredible bike. My bike is good from 0-5,500', 30 deg F to 90 Deg F. I pretty much just keep the same jetting year round unless I will be racing somewhere in one of the extremes.

the TX 300 is a much easier bike to ride than the 350 or 450. and NO, the 350 does not lug like a 300, not even close. The 350 is infamous for it's flameouts. Even with gearing changes, tps changes, etc, you are always covering the clutch. A 350 likes to rev, it is more comfortable going fast than slow, for sure. The 300 is a jack of all trades, it is an excellent enduro and trail riding bike, but it has torque that rivals any and surpasses some 450's. The new chassis coupled with an electric motor, VERY little vibration, and very good suspension makes an incredible package. I had a '13 350 xc-f, I have ridden a '14 6 days (many times) 350excf, and have ridden several times a buddies '17 350xc-f (great bike, but not nearly as good as the 300 in the singletrack/ woods/ mountains).
Jetting is the only downfall to the 300. Once you have it figured out, it is an incredible bike. My bike is good from 0-5,500', 30 deg F to 90 Deg F. I pretty much just keep the same jetting year round unless I will be racing somewhere in one of the extremes.

Is the gearing good enough for the track? And how does the cost of premix, top ends, and fuel consumption compare to a 4 strokes more frequent oil and filter changes and fuel consumption

I think the stock gearing is excellent for trails and track. If you are only doing track, a 350 xc-f or sx is the better bike... barely (I'd argue you'd have more fun on a 250 or 300 2 stroke).

For me a four stroke was easy maintenance, other then the PITA of oil changes every 6-10 hours compared to every 20 on a 2 stroke. Price of premix isn't really that big of a deal, the drawback to that is you can't just fill up at a pump somewhere, but that hasn't been a problem for me personally. I sold my 4 stroke at 100 hours and never checked valves.

I have 50 hours on my tx 300 and will probably not do a top end until 150 hrs. if all goes well. Maintenance has been very easy so far. Just gear oil every 20 hours, a clean air filter when it needs one, and premix around 50:1

Yeah I've owned 250 2ts before so I'm already familiar with maintenance and what not, was just wondering how the costs of operation compared to a 4t, sounds like they're just about even with the 2t having slight advantage. I plan to a little bit of everything but mainly going to the track on weekends and a couple hours of mixed fairly open woods and small hills and jumps and fields (general freeride stuff)after work.

I'm leaning more towards the 300 because I want a 250 2 stroke but with more torque that I can rebuild myself without it taking ages, jack of all trades as you mentioned

My buddy has a new 450 and I have a 17 300.  I WAY WAY prefer the 300.  It is lighter, but feels much lighter than it is and has better bottom end.  It lugs way better and no flame outs.

With JD kit I can get 65+ miles out of tank, which is good enough for me.

I felt even the 350 was too much power for woods riding and made me tired quickly.  I personally trade the 350 top end for the 300 bottom end any day.

Also, top end rebuild is like $150 and 3 hours out of my weekend, then I am done for the year or two.  My buddy just spent $1000 on his 4 stroke rebuild.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, rlucas1986 said:

The 350 is infamous for it's flameouts

Lol, and what about the jetting threads about the new 300s? Wait, you tried to shuffle off the jetting issues with your 300 as good, except you failed to mention you put a completely different head on? Hmmmm

Jetting is great once you get it! There is just so much conflicting info out there. And who doesn't put shiny new toys on a bike, my jetting was good before the head, it is great now in that it's jetting range is much broader, and the bike just freakin rips!

the point is, I fixed the jetting "issue" on my 300. I never fixed the flameout issue on my 350, and all the other 350's I rode had the same issue. The EXC 350 versions were much better with flameouts, but they seemed too mellow and soft in stock form.

Edited by rlucas1986

7 minutes ago, rlucas1986 said:

Jetting is great once you get it! There is just so much conflicting info out there. And who doesn't put shiny new toys on a bike, my jetting was good before the head, it is great now in that it's jetting range is much broader, and the bike just freakin rips!

the point is, I fixed the jetting "issue" on my 300. I never fixed the flameout issue on my 350, and all the other 350's I rode had the same issue. The EXC 350 versions were much better with flameouts, but they seemed too mellow and soft in stock form.

So you haven't fixed the flameout issue, but others have... But somehow you bought the idea the TX 300 is just 'that' good of a bike... I disagree with you, not because it's your opinion, just that your facts are wrong. To say you need to rev them out, or they don't lug is just simply untrue...

Thanks for the input guys, I think I may just go with the 300, lightweight, easy rebuilds, bottom end power. I don't think it will but if jetting gives me too hard of a time maybe I can try a Lectron carb, I've been reading some good reviews about them and if it works then I don't mind shelling out a couple extra bucks

I don't need to be revved out all the time as I am not a serious racer, but I would like to try a woods race or two and some buddy races on the track