2008 CRF 100F Idle issue

Hey guys I have a 2008 crf 100 that is having trouble idling, the bike has sat for a little over a year now and when I received the bike from the previous owner I took the carb off to clean it because the float was stuck causing it to leak. I got the leak taken care of and got the bike to start up, however the bike is not wanting to idle, I took the carb off again and noticed I could not see all through the pilot jet. The bike runs fine at low and high RPM's just wont idle, My question is would a clogged pilot jet cause the bike not to idle and should I pick up a new one?

Whats wrong with trying to clean it? I tried too and whatever it is will not come out, even soaked it in gas.

14 minutes ago, KD23 said:

Whats wrong with trying to clean it? I tried too and whatever it is will not come out, even soaked it in gas.

Its not worth the effort and its hard to get them clean like new.

The stock jetting on the crf100 is lean to begin with so might be a good time to go up a jet size.

Just now, GreenMT_Rider said:

Its not worth the effort and its hard to get them clean like new.

The stock jetting on the crf100 is lean to begin with so might be a good time to go up a jet size.

ok cool, whats a better size to get?

Would the new pilot jet fix my idle issue, because even adjusting the idle screw would not do anything. It acted like I wasn't even adjusting the idle.

8 hours ago, KD23 said:

Would the new pilot jet fix my idle issue, because even adjusting the idle screw would not do anything. It acted like I wasn't even adjusting the idle.

Anyone know?

REPLACE THE PILOT JET, DO NOT TRY AND CLEAN IT, unless you own a sonic cleaner.

The idle IS the pilot circuit. You have to replace it. 

If the pilot is clogged, there will be more debris inside the carb, so be forwarned.  It may or may not be an issue. 

If you did not polish out the float needle and cavity, it will get stuck again.

TREAT YOUR GAS unless you want it to happen again

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ethanol+fuel+treatment

Ok guys, I went and bought a sized 38 jet. Hopefully this fixes my issue I'll put it on later and let you guys know. Thanks for the replies.

Still not wanting to idle, starts only when choke is on. Getting real annoying! 

45 minutes ago, KD23 said:

Maybe a vacuum leak?

Has there been any "mods" to the bike... Different air filter, exhaust, anything like that? 

Still sounds like a pilot circuit. You need to make sure the orifice (Small hole) that is above where the pilot jet screws into is open and free of any debris and blockages  - maybe use some carb spray with the nozzle and blast it both ways - from the venturi side as well as the bowl/body side. (Blast every hole while you're at it ;)  ) then follow up with compressed air through everything (Watch your eyes) 

re-install the jets (You should have pulled them out to clean the carb) and make sure you can see/blow through them as well. That carb should also have a "Fuel" screw (My son has a 2012 CRF100F ) and the fuel screw on it is that "D" shaped one so it's bugger to manipulate with out the correct tool unfortunately,.. but it can be done. It is possible that the Fuel Screw orifice is blocked or partially blocked which will have some effect on Idle as well.

Other things to check would be the cam chain tensioner - should be good to go, but you never know,.. if it's super loose or something it could cause some poor idling and hard starting (Cam timing will be off)

4 hours ago, KD23 said:

Have you turned in the idle screw, to raise the slide ??  It could be several turns.....

Edited by THE KRAN

Found the issue guys, it was my petcock. It was just dripping gas slowly not giving the carb enough fuel, I let it sit with the gas on for about an hour to let the carb fill up with gas and it ran perfect. I took the gas tank off to remove the petcock and when I dumped the gas pit pieces of the petcock came out. New petcock on the way thanks guys for the help.