SmashingTrees

Dr 350 1991 lost compression

So my Dr350 was working fine and then all of a sudden after a pop from trying to start it up, it has lost compression when trying to kick start. It has a small amount of resistance but not as much as before and I can't find out the reason. I have not been able to start it for about 4 days now. 

4 minutes ago, hscarborough said:

Is your decompression lever fully functional and NOT stuck on?

I will check that right now that maybe it but I was using the decompression lever before trying to actually kick it but it maybe getting stuck

will check that right now that maybe it but I was using the decompression lever before trying to actually kick it but it maybe getting stuck

4 minutes ago, hscarborough said:

I will check that right now that maybe it but I was using the decompression lever before trying to actually kick it but it maybe getting stuck

will check that right now that maybe it but I was using the decompression lever before trying to actually kick it but it maybe getting stuck

8 minutes ago, hscarborough said:

After looking at it the lever does function properly 

How are you checking for compression? By resistance in the kick lever or removing the spark plug and putting your thumb over the hole?

6 minutes ago, hscarborough said:

How are you checking for compression? By resistance in the kick lever or removing the spark plug and putting your thumb over the hole?

I have checked it both ways the lever just doesn't feel like it kicks down that hard but when I put my thumb over the spark plug hole it feels decently strong 

Then wouldn't that suggest you still have compression?

I would investigate the kick-start mechanism but first, are you familiar with bump starting your motorcycle? I would recommend doing this just to prove that your engine functions normally and your Kickstarter is the culprit.

3 minutes ago, hscarborough said:

Then wouldn't that suggest you still have compression?

I would investigate the kick-start mechanism but first, are you familiar with bump starting your motorcycle? I would recommend doing this just to prove that your engine functions normally and your Kickstarter is the culprit.

This is my first motorcycle so really unfamiliar with a bunch of stuff.. and I have heard of bump start but not sure how to do it. And I think I do have compression the kick start is probably messed up maybe the gears inside are loose or something 

I would begin by watching a YouTube video on how to push start or bump start the motorcycle. If that makes it run then you know there is something wrong with the kick-start mechanism.

22 hours ago, hscarborough said:

I would begin by watching a YouTube video on how to push start or bump start the motorcycle. If that makes it run then you know there is something wrong with the kick-start mechanism.

So my bike is weird because when I have the choke off the bike has almost no compression but with the choke all the way out I have perfect compression 

1 minute ago, hscarborough said:

Those two things are in no way connected.

They aren't but that's what I see happening literally put choke all the way in no compression and with choke all the way out I have compression but still can't start the engine either way 

13 hours ago, hscarborough said:

Those two things are in no way connected.

So I tried kick starting it today and it seemed like it wanted to start but the kick starter made a kind of grinding noise and kind was jamming so I think the kick starter is messed up. 

Did you bump start (or push start) it like I had said? If you have a problem with the kick starter itself, you'll need to remove the kick start lever, the rear brake lever, then remove the right side engine cover. That will expose your kick start mechanism so you can inspect it and see if something is wrong with it.

2 minutes ago, hscarborough said:

d you bump start (or push start) it like I had said? If you have a problem with the kick starter itself, you'll need to remove the kick start lever, the rear brake lever, then remove the right side engine cover. That will expose your kick start mechanism so you can inspect it and see if something is wrong with it.

I have watched videos on how to do it but can't seem to figure it out. 

12 minutes ago, hscarborough said:

Did you figure out how to bump start it? Did it work?

I did figure out how to but I can't get it running all it did was skid the back tire when I let go of the clutch 

On Wednesday, August 02, 2017 at 11:22 AM, hscarborough said:

Did you bump start (or push start) it like I had said? If you have a problem with the kick starter itself, you'll need to remove the kick start lever, the rear brake lever, then remove the right side engine cover. That will expose your kick start mechanism so you can inspect it and see if something is wrong with it.

Okay I am probably going to take apart the engine I just want to know if there is any special tools or parts I need like gaskets oil, oil pan, or air tools to get inside and look around

29 minutes ago, hscarborough said:

What I had just posted is pretty much the same thing I want to tell you... any advice? 

30 minutes ago, hscarborough said:

What I had just posted is pretty much the same thing I want to tell you... any advice? 

Removing the right side engine cover requires no special tools but may require a new gasket as the old one will probably tear when you take it off. Read my previous post about all the things that need to be removed in order to take the right engine cover off. Also remember that there is oil in there. Either lean the bike over on it's left side to do this work, or drain the oil first.