Knee replacement, light bike, good low end, beater, cheap.

Not gonna drone on so here is the story...

I've had my right knee replaced.. I am 46 and I weigh 225.. I am about to tear down a 1992 Yam WR200 and rebuild it to be my "main" bike - but I've got friends who are wanting me to ride. I was never "expert" level - more like "playbike" level but I would prefer to ride a 2stroke. 

Anyone have suggestions for me? I am looking for something dirt cheap.. Could care less if it is old and could care less if I'm gonna win any races on it. Because of my weight though I will not consider a 125 2 stroke.. I need something that will make it up a hill. 

Main concerns other than low end and cheap are reliability. I am fine with dropping a new piston/rings in on whatever I buy. Would also prefer something that has a wide ratio gearbox.. 

I've pondered a early 90's WR250 (two stroke) but just through I would ask the collective for suggestions.. I've ridden red all my life so if there are any years that the CR250R was more suited to what I'm looking for than others please feel free to chime in.. :)

Assuming you're going to be riding trails/woods, and not MX, a 10 year old 300 2 stroke, such as a KTM 300 XC-W will produce all the power you could want. And you'll be the envy of all your friends (even though they won't admit it)

Those can be had for in the $2000-2500 range for a really nice one.

Now if your serious and want a bike that will climb mts. and haul you around then find you a late model XR400 and have fun. There reasonably priced and do not require a ton of work to keep them running like the newer bikes with all the valve shimming and adjustments.

How about a KDX200 or 220?  You could find one in decent shape for a good price especially if you don't mind tinkering on it some.  I've never had the chance to ride one but I have heard they are excellent trail bikes.

• Like 1

DcoTexoma: Now if you weigh 220 lbs? You may really need to get the XR400 That 220 Kaw will wear you and itself out! I'm a fat 200lbs and I ride a XR350 and we haul the mail up these NC mountains just fine, no knee replacement though,just rotator cuff surgery. Have a hoot

I've had both knees replaced, one ACL too. Most any bike will be rideable. You however, must know what you can and what you should not do. No jumps where you cannot do so seated. Avoid riding where you might have to use your foot as a pivot. Fie seconds of glory is not worth six months of misery. Unless someone pays to $10Mil.

A 125 will haul you just fine. However, it will make you work. Do not get into that 'man ego thing' where 'because you are a big guy, you need a big bike' bull. I run a WR250F, weigh in at a svelte 240 and the bike is more than enough for me. Truthfully, I'd probably be better off with a less radical bike though I did buy it prior to my first knee replacement.

So.. A XR/DR/DRZ are all probably great choices from a 250 to a 400. I will strongly suggest you get a bike with E start. If you are ever in a 'bad position' and stall, you'll thank me.

Any bike you get, have the suspension done for your weight. That is a absolute must do.