2016/2017 maps

So I've not seen to many posts for these model years so I was hoping that by starting one we could generate some good responses and get a nice database of maps. Also, I'm wondering if elevation really has much affect on the maps..

I just bought a 2016 WR. I have purchased the ECU and exhaust insert from GYTR.

Do I need to get it mapped or will it run when I install these items and take the throttle stop out?

I have heard the hot map is the Mud map for technical riding and hare scramble racing I do as it does not hit hard like a YZ and gets better mileage.

I am guessing I will have to take it to a dealer to get the mapping as I do not want to but the Yamaha $250 tuner?

If anyone knows a good place to get the tuning in San Diego area please let me know?

Also how many map choices are available like Mud?

I see the 18 YZ can tune from your phone.

Thanks Reed San Diego

(4) 07-11 WR's now a 16 fuely

Edited by reed92021

1 hour ago, reed92021 said:

I just bought a 2016 WR. I have purchased the ECU and exhaust insert from GYTR.

Do I need to get it mapped or will it run when I install these items and take the throttle stop out?

I have heard the hot map is the Mud map for technical riding and hare scramble racing I do as it does not hit hard like a YZ and gets better mileage.

I am guessing I will have to take it to a dealer to get the mapping as I do not want to but the Yamaha $250 tuner?

If anyone knows a good place to get the tuning in San Diego area please let me know?

Also how many map choices are available like Mud?

I see the 18 YZ can tune from your phone.

Thanks Reed San Diego

(4) 07-11 WR's now a 16 fuely

Please do not piggy back on someone elses thread. This is not a chatroom, it is a forum.

Just put the new GYTR stuff in and go riding.

7 hours ago, Wrfrk said:

So I've not seen to many posts for these model years so I was hoping that by starting one we could generate some good responses and get a nice database of maps. Also, I'm wondering if elevation really has much affect on the maps..

Tons of threads on maps, in this forum.

Get a tuner, and go to Yamaha's website and view the map options they have. You can modify any of those maps and re-number them and save them.

I have a tuner and have been playing with those tunes from Yamaha, but I'm not running a stock can and I'm not at sea level so it's unlikely they are going to be even close. Plus, I have tried them and the bike pops and spits/coughs a lot when running them........

5 hours ago, Wrfrk said:

I have a tuner and have been playing with those tunes from Yamaha, but I'm not running a stock can and I'm not at sea level so it's unlikely they are going to be even close. Plus, I have tried them and the bike pops and spits/coughs a lot when running them........

First off, did it ever run well with the aftermarket cam? 

Sea level has nothing to do with it. The Yamaha's system has a air pressure sensor that will compensate for that.

Have you done a factory passive re-set of the ecu yet? You need to do this anytime the air density where you are riding changes signifigantly.

Start the bike using NO THROTTLE, and let it idle for 5+ minutes, or once the left radiator water is up to full temprature. Do NOT touch the throttle during this time. Shut off the motor and restart. You have now re-centered the adjustment range for the ECU.

Sputtering and coughs sounds like a miss-timed cam or a contaminated fuel or fuel system.

First off, did it ever run well with the aftermarket cam? 
Sea level has nothing to do with it. The Yamaha's system has a air pressure sensor that will compensate for that.
Have you done a factory passive re-set of the ecu yet? You need to do this anytime the air density where you are riding changes signifigantly.
Start the bike using NO THROTTLE, and let it idle for 5+ minutes, or once the left radiator water is up to full temprature. Do NOT touch the throttle during this time. Shut off the motor and restart. You have now re-centered the adjustment range for the ECU.
Sputtering and coughs sounds like a miss-timed cam or a contaminated fuel or fuel system.

Sorry I did not mean CAM I meant "can" or silencer (FMF4.1)
I will try that ECU RE-center, thanks for the pointer. I picked this bike up used out of cali so that could be a factor.

6 minutes ago, Wrfrk said:

Sorry I did not mean CAM I meant "can" or silencer (FMF4.1)
I will try that ECU RE-center, thanks for the pointer. I picked this bike up used out of cali so that could be a factor.

With modern gas, you must use filters before it gets into the tank (filter funnel) and you must treat the gas that goes in the tank, for ethanol poisoning.'

If you don't, you will clog the fuel pump filter, and varnish the FI nozzle.

The fuel pump filter clogs easily, and the pump can be damaged from fuel starvation, so pull the pump and look at the filter. It it is black, it's clogged.

• Like 1

Curious, will pulling the pump require any new gaskets be replaced? 

The bike only has 55hrs on it and I got it with 45 and can't say what or how previous owner really took care of the bike. My previous KTM 450 was also FI and I never had pump or filter issues on that bike and sold it with 170hrs.

15 hours ago, Wrfrk said:

Curious, will pulling the pump require any new gaskets be replaced? 

The bike only has 55hrs on it and I got it with 45 and can't say what or how previous owner really took care of the bike. My previous KTM 450 was also FI and I never had pump or filter issues on that bike and sold it with 170hrs.

KTM's had tiny little in-line fuel filters after the pump, that you had to change nearly every month, or replace it with a Golan filter so you could avoid it. 

If you got dirt in the tank, the pump would die from the lack of a filter.

Yamaha's have a larger filter before the pump, so the pump does not suck in debris.

All FI has filters, all FI needs maintenence, just like a carb does.

8 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

KTM's had tiny little in-line fuel filters after the pump, that you had to change nearly every month, or replace it with a Golan filter so you could avoid it. 

If you got dirt in the tank, the pump would die from the lack of a filter.

Yamaha's have a larger filter before the pump, so the pump does not suck in debris.

All FI has filters, all FI needs maintenence, just like a carb does.

Yes I'm quite familiar with that little filter between the pump and injector, in 4 yrs of owning that bike I changed that 2x and cleaned maybe 2 or 3 more times. The process took 5-10 min tops though, so super easy :)

Pulling the tank on this bike not so quick and easy and then you still need to take the pump apart. Seems like a daunting PITA but something one must do I suppose, beats the hell out of a carb and jetting though!